cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU FICO 8 consistently higher than EX & EQ. Why?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

TU FICO 8 consistently higher than EX & EQ. Why?

For the past 2 or 2 1/2 years, my TU FICO 8 has been noticeably higher than my EQ & EX scores, often as much as 30-40 points and rarely less than 20 points higher.

But I can't discern any significant differences between what is being reported on TU and what is being reported on the others.

Does anyone know of any significant differences in TU's algorithm?

If it helps any, my profile during this period has mostly looked like this:

-a goodly number of new accounts & inquiries (due to my having joined this accursed forum Smiley Happy)

-no negatives

-overall revolving utilization of zero to 5%, although recently I let it go up to 15% temporarily

-short average age of accounts, short age of newest account, one old account

-no mortgage

Although my scores have been sensitive to revolving and installment utilization, they have always moved in tandem.

My all time high on TU is 20 points higher than my all time highs on the other two.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TU FICO 8 consistently higher than EX & EQ. Why?

Hey SJ.

You stated that no significant differences exist between your TU data and EX/EQ, but that's not "no" differences.  My question would be what are the exact differences that you're speaking of?

My TU score tends to run a little higher than the others as well, usually about 10 points but at times 15-17.  The two obvious differences I see though are my AAoA is 6 months older on TU and I have 1-2 less scoreable inquiries on TU compared to the other 2 bureaus.  I've always felt those differences justified the score variance.  As you know, though, there are plenty of people on this forum that have reported possessing identical data across all 3B with score variances in the 20-30 point range, with an outlier 36 data point once. 

I think your question is a good one though regarding potential differences related to the algorithm, as if we're talking algorithm variances across the bureaus we're not really comparing apples to apples when it comes to scores.

Message 2 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey SJ.

You stated that no significant differences exist between your TU data and EX/EQ, but that's not "no" differences.  My question would be what are the exact differences that you're speaking of?

My TU score tends to run a little higher than the others as well, usually about 10 points but at times 15-17.  The two obvious differences I see though are my AAoA is 6 months older on TU and I have 1-2 less scoreable inquiries on TU compared to the other 2 bureaus.  I've always felt those differences justified the score variance.  As you know, though, there are plenty of people on this forum that have reported possessing identical data across all 3B with score variances in the 20-30 point range, with an outlier 36 data point once. 

I think your question is a good one though regarding potential differences related to the algorithm, as if we're talking algorithm variances across the bureaus we're not really comparing apples to apples when it comes to scores.

Forget EQ because it has had a noticeable difference for the past year which keeps it at around 10 points lower than EX.

But comparing TU to EX: no differences I can spot except that TU usually has fewer inquiries, let's say 4 vs 8. But TU & EQ are about the same in inquiries.

Message 3 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Forget EQ because it has had a noticeable difference for the past year which keeps it at around 10 points lower than EX.

Didn't you have some accounts unexpectedly fall off your EQ report?

Message 4 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Didn't you have some accounts unexpectedly fall off your EQ report?

Yes that's the "noticeable difference" I referred to above. It's why EQ has been around 10 points lower than EX; it has a shorter average age of accounts. It's why EQ might be 40 points lower than TU when EX is 30 points lower.

Message 5 of 12
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Mine is the same. EQ is always the lowest of the three. TU is always the highest..go figure.
Message 6 of 12
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

TU has typically been higher than the others even though I think it's my worst profile, it shows 2 old/small/paid collections that no other reports show. Anything negative on EQ and EX show on TU as well, but TU just has extra negative items. all reports show similar AAoA, and all reports have 0 inquiries. 

Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 7 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
Mine is the same. EQ is always the lowest of the three. TU is always the highest..go figure.

Well in my case I think I know why EQ is lower than EX; it's because EQ dropped 5 of my closed accounts from the reports, one of which was a very old one. So my AAoA on EQ is lower than on the other two.

The only thing I can't figure out is why TU is way higher than both of them.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here southie. My TU is 40 plus points higher than my EQ. my AAOA is lower on my EQ. EX and TU are identical except TU is 20 plus points higher than EX. All files are clean too.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would seem there must be something in the algorithm that's different for TU based on the responses above.  It would be really cool to know what it is, of course.

Back when my profile was filthy my EX/EQ scores stalled at 751 and 752 where my TU made it all the way to 768.  That was with 2 accounts with major delinquencies (90 day, 120 day) that were 3-4 years old each.  I offer this data point up simply because it seems that TU may be higher all things being equal on both clean and dirty profiles.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.