Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU deleted my history (for no reason)!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU deleted my history (for no reason)!!

A couple of months ago I disputed a couple of items on my TU report.  Then I received a letter from TU asking for a copy of my list of creditors to our BK since one of our disputes was included in the BK.  I sent it and included a copy of the letter they had sent to us.  Now, I received a letter from them stating that their investigation was complete and showed 14 accounts (good, long-standing, positive accounts dated back to 1996) had been deleted.  I called them and they said that it's usually better that we not dispute old accounts, because they are deleted if they can't be verified.  WE DIDN'T DISPUTE THEM!!  I have since sent a certified letter to TU demanding that the accounts be returned to our credit reports since the removal of them crushed our TU scores.  To date, I have not heard anything back....any suggestions anyone??  We are applying for a mortgage next month and are desperate for any advice we can get.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TU deleted my history (for no reason)!!

IMHO- You have 2 options

Contact an attorney
or
Contact each of the old creditor and ask them to re-insert.

Message Edited by Timothy on 10-10-2007 06:35 AM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

slucas0006:

I've experienced this same problem of old positive accounts being deleted both at TU and EX after my BK papers were submitted to TU. Watch out, EX could delete these same accounts soon too. That is exactly what happened to me shortly after TU deleted them.

In my case only 4 accounts were deleted from each CRA, and 2 of those were going to drop in June 2008 anyway. You have a lot more to dig in and fight for than I did.

This often happens when they do a "complete update" on your CR and banks don't verify info. Unfortunately, banks are in the business of making sure bad credit is reported, and old good credit is just incidental to them.

CRA's employees also make data entry mistakes due to similar last numbers. In my case, TU also mistakenly changed an account ending in 66 to a BK account because there was a BK account WITH A DIFFERENT CREDITOR also ending in 66.

Unfortunately, my efforts to restore these old accounts through the credit reporting agencies were like beating my head against a wall. At TU they referred me to the "Special Handling Department". After a month they restored 2 accounts as "UNRATED" instead of "PAID AS AGREED". Then I disputed trying to get them updated properly, and th.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

slucas0006:

I've experienced this same problem of old positive accounts being deleted both at TU and EX after my BK papers were submitted to TU. Watch out, EX could delete these same accounts soon too. That is exactly what happened to me shortly after TU deleted them.

In my case only 4 accounts were deleted from each CRA, and 2 of those were going to drop in June 2008 anyway. You have a lot more to dig in and fight for than I did.

This often happens when they do a "complete update" on your CR and banks don't verify info. Unfortunately, banks are in the business of making sure bad credit is reported, and old good credit is just incidental to them.

CRA's employees also make data entry mistakes due to similar last numbers. In my case, TU also mistakenly changed an account ending in 66 to a BK account because there was a BK account WITH A DIFFERENT CREDITOR also ending in 66.

Unfortunately, my efforts to restore these old accounts through the credit reporting agencies were like beating my head against a wall. At TU they referred me to the "Special Handling Department". After a month they restored 2 accounts as "UNRATED" instead of "PAID AS AGREED". Then I disputed trying to get them updated properly, and they .
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

slucas0006:

Unfortunately, my efforts to restore these old accounts through the credit reporting agencies were like beating my head against a wall. At TU they referred me to the "Special Handling Department". After a month they restored 2 accounts as "UNRATED" instead of "PAID AS AGREED". Then I disputed trying to get them updated properly, and they deleted them AGAIN.

I did get one account restored by Bank Of America by going directly to them. They made me right a letter requesting them to report the account and fax it with a copy of my driver's license and SS card.

Bottom line... Creditors are doing you a favor if they restore accounts to your report. No law says they have to do it. Ask nicely and keep your fingers crossed.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Luckily, 12 of the accts that were deleted were from our local bank that we have been doing business with for about 15 years.  I even offered to pay any fees or charges for them taking care of resubmitting all of them. 

I have even received another letter from TU asking for me to submit a list of creditors included in our Ch 13 BK AGAIN...this time, I just filed it away.  I will not fall for that again.  I guess the last 4 accounts that I am disputing will have to be done through the creditor.  TU seems to reall screw things up a lot...but I guess if applying for a mortgage, they are necessary.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.