Testing Credit Card Utilization Thresholds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Testing Credit Card Utilization Thresholds

@mowglidude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

Since my last post on 8/3,  Citicard posted that I paid downto zero, but showed a $22 balance. CL was also decreased from $3500 to $880. I also paid down a Chase card from 69% UT to $O, which posted today. No change in score, still at 700 EX FICO 8. Current aggregate utilization is now 60%. I have already made several large payments this month. We will see what happens when they post. Stay tuned. FYI, nothing below changed to my other EX credit report details before or after:

• 100% ontime payments for revolving and installments, not lates, no derogs
  • No collections, settlements, negatives, baddies
  • 5 hard inquiries (1 less than 1 year)
  • $31,556 in installments (1 pers loan, 1 Auto)
  • AoOA: 8 years
  • AoORA: 8 years
  • AAoA: 4.1 years
  • AoYRA: 1.5 years

@mowglidudeCiti CLD'ed you? Did you call and attempt to get it restored? What effect did the Chase card payoff have on aggregate util? ok you are clean/thick/aged/no new account scorecard, it appears, top card.

Can you check and see if you received points on the first of the month when your AoORA turned 8 years old?

And what's your aggregate installment utilization?

Yes Citi CLD'd me last month, before all my high indivudual UT's started to go down. They said to call back when everything posts and they will do a soft pull. We'll see. This Chase card caused my aggregate UT to go from 63 - 60%. My AoORA opened on Aug 17, 2012, so I don't know if that scored yet, but I will check on the 17th. I am at 49.47% aggregate installment utilization today. I have three cards posting in the next week up to the 17th, $16,861 total in payments, so far. I may add more before they post, or save to bring down last two cards below 28.9% individual UT before the end of the month. Also on the 19th, Sams (AU) should post back that $10K limit also. So based on the $16K+ and an additional $10K in CL, my aggregate UT should be 31.7% around the 20th, if all posts the same as last month. Getting close. BTW, those three cards are going from 57% -1%, 56% - 24% and 80% - 25% individual UT's.

@mowglidude if you get any awards for AoORA, it would've been on August 1, if there's a threshold at 8 years. I don't know if there is or not that's why I'm checking.

Do you know for sure the AU is counting on score 8? Have you tested it?

I am surprised you didn't see a few points for crossing the two thresholds with the Chase. What is your highest utilization card right now, what percentage?

Yeah I think you're going to see some nice score changes when all that posts.

What was your Ag utilization before you paid the two cards from 88% to 67%? Did you cross any aggregate thresholds or was it only the one 69% individual threshold that was crossed by both?

Message 11 of 133
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

Since my last post on 8/3,  Citicard posted that I paid downto zero, but showed a $22 balance. CL was also decreased from $3500 to $880. I also paid down a Chase card from 69% UT to $O, which posted today. No change in score, still at 700 EX FICO 8. Current aggregate utilization is now 60%. I have already made several large payments this month. We will see what happens when they post. Stay tuned. FYI, nothing below changed to my other EX credit report details before or after:

@mowglidudeCiti CLD'ed you? Did you call and attempt to get it restored? What effect did the Chase card payoff have on aggregate util? ok you are clean/thick/aged/no new account scorecard, it appears, top card.

Can you check and see if you received points on the first of the month when your AoORA turned 8 years old?

Yes Citi CLD'd me last month, before all my high indivudual UT's started to go down. They said to call back when everything posts and they will do a soft pull. We'll see. This Chase card caused my aggregate UT to go from 63 - 60%. My AoORA opened on Aug 17, 2012, so I don't know if that scored yet, but I will check on the 17th. I am at 49.47% aggregate installment utilization today. I have three cards posting in the next week up to the 17th, $16,861 total in payments, so far. I may add more before they post, or save to bring down last two cards below 28.9% individual UT before the end of the month. Also on the 19th, Sams (AU) should post back that $10K limit also. So based on the $16K+ and an additional $10K in CL, my aggregate UT should be 31.7% around the 20th, if all posts the same as last month. Getting close. BTW, those three cards are going from 57% -1%, 56% - 24% and 80% - 25% individual UT's.

@mowglidude if you get any awards for AoORA, it would've been on August 1, if there's a threshold at 8 years. I don't know if there is or not that's why I'm checking.

I am surprised you didn't see a few points for crossing the two thresholds with the Chase. What is your highest utilization card right now, what percentage?

What was your Ag utilization before you paid the two cards from 88% to 67%? Did you cross any aggregate thresholds or was it only the one 69% individual threshold that was crossed by both?

I do not know for sure the Sams AU is counting on score 8? How you test it?

Highest UT card right now still posted is 80%. I have others currently posted at 57%, 65%, 56%, 67%, 67% and 59% that will all be adjusted later this month.

After I paid the two cards from 88% to 67%, I went from 68 - 64% aggregate UT, so no threshold crossed at that time.

Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 788 TU 791 EQ 785 05/09/23
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 12 of 133
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@mowglidude      Ohhhh Interesting I'm dabbling in UTL/DP right now myself XD

Message 13 of 133
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@mowglidude      Ohhhh Interesting I'm dabbling in UTL/DP right now myself XD

It's really interesting to see how different thresholds really give your score a nice bump and some don't. I'm learning as I go...

Message 14 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

I do not know for sure the Sams AU is counting on score 8? How you test it?

Highest UT card right now still posted is 80%. I have others currently posted at 57%, 65%, 56%, 67%, 67% and 59% that will all be adjusted later this month.

After I paid the two cards from 88% to 67%, I went from 68 - 64% aggregate UT, so no threshold crossed at that time.

@mowglidude The AU test is described in the Scoring Primer linked at the top of my signature. Basically all AUs report zero and you see if you get a penalty on version 8.

You may not have seen a score change since you still have a higher individual utilization card.

Message 15 of 133
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

Today two cards posted, one from 57% - 0% UT and one from 56% - 0% UT. My aggregate UT went down from 49.47% - 39.03%, causing my score to go up 15 points, from 713 - 728 EX FICO 8. I have six more cards adjusting in the next three weeks during this test.

Message 16 of 133
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mowglidude wrote:

Today two cards posted, one from 57% - 0% UT and one from 56% - 0% UT. My aggregate UT went down from 49.47% - 39.03%, causing my score to go up 15 points, from 713 - 728 EX FICO 8. I have six more cards adjusting in the next three weeks during this test.

This is certainly consistent with 39% as a threshold for aggregate revolving utilization, but there are other factors which possibly contributed to your point gain:

-individual thresholds

-# of cards over 30%

-# of cards with balance

Congratulations! And thanks for the data points.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 17 of 133
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

This is certainly consistent with 39% as a threshold for aggregate revolving utilization, but there are other factors which possibly contributed to your point gain:

-individual thresholds

-# of cards over 30%

-# of cards with balance

Congratulations! And thanks for the data points.

I still have five accounts over 60% individual UT to update and adjust, in the next few weeks..Do you think the score increase was from going below 49% aggregate UT, or being just above 39% aggregate UT?

Message 18 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude wrote:

@mowglidude  Congratulations! That is terrific 2 cards passed one individual threshold and you crossed one aggregate! Sounds about right, terrific keep us updated!

Message 19 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude No you crossed the 49% aggregate utilisation threshold. You were above it because you were at 49 point something percent.

Edit: There is no 39% threshold. I don't know if that was a typo? But that's true, how many revolvers with a balance did you have and how many do you have presently?

Message 20 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.