Did you mean: 

Testing Credit Card Utilization Thresholds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Testing Credit Card Utilization Thresholds

@mowglidude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So my only thought was the threshold might possibly be 9 instead of 10 because if not, he must be maxed out on the dirty card.

True enough utilization is weighted less on a dirty card.

From what I understand, I have a clean card. I posted my stats earlier and I have no negs, etc...

@mowglidude I apologize the threads gotten so long and I read so many, I can't remember your stats, but I was referring to the scores in your siggy and with those scores usually there has to be some sort of derogatory to be in the 500s. 

let me go back to the beginning of the thread and reread your stats

oh wow that's starting scores. My bad

Message 101 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude OK you’re in a clean/thick/mature/no new account scorecard. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t of seen the score increase did you go back and truncate your balances?

Message 102 of 133
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

I used the spreadsheet we created. Truncated?

Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 788 TU 791 EQ 785 05/09/23
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 103 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude wrote:

I used the spreadsheet we created. Truncated?

@mowglidude: FICO scoring only use whole number balances, as reported by the CRAs. (Link to AMA where Tom Quinn, VP of Scores at FICO, answers my question about it.)

It won't make too much of a difference, really. With 10 cards, the maximum difference between actual total balance (with cents) and reported balance (no cents) would be $9.90.

Message 104 of 133
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mowglidude OK you’re in a clean/thick/mature/no new account scorecard. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t of seen the score increase did you go back and truncate your balances?

Today my aggregate UT went down to 7.88%, which shows 8% on EX FICO 8. I was hoping to see a scorechange going below 8%, but my score did not change at all. I never saw a significant score change, going below, 10%, 9% and now 8% aggregate UT. So I am still stuck at an 806 EX FICO 8 score. I was hoping to be above 820 at least. Bummed.

Message 105 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude The only thing it could be is you’re maxed out for right now. you must be at your maximum for your profile right now; it’s the only thing I can think.

It’s nice to know you can go above 10% without suffering a penalty, that’s crazy. you must have some sort of buffer and you’re at your max for now.

I would love to see what happens if you go above and below that line again or if this is some strange coincidence.

I was concerned that the threshold may have been at 9 instead of 10 since you didn’t see a change, but I think we’re fairly certain it is it 10. I don’t know why you didn’t see any score change unless you’re maxed out.

Message 106 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude That’s weird I got a notification for your last post, but not the one before that, or I somehow missed it.

Yeah I forgot about truncating when we did the spreadsheet, but actually @ccquest created an awesome one that’s linked on the first page of the Primer, it’s got everything already done for you and gives you all the metrics. All you gotta do is download it and plug in your values and you can even simulate different dates and everything.
Message 107 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many inquiries do you have across the bureaus?
Message 108 of 133
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mowglidude The only thing it could be is you’re maxed out for right now. you must be at your maximum for your profile right now; it’s the only thing I can think.

It’s nice to know you can go above 10% without suffering a penalty, that’s crazy. you must have some sort of buffer and you’re at your max for now.

I would love to see what happens if you go above and below that line again or if this is some strange coincidence.

I was concerned that the threshold may have been at 9 instead of 10 since you didn’t see a change, but I think we’re fairly certain it is it 10. I don’t know why you didn’t see any score change unless you’re maxed out.

Maybe I'll go above 10% in the next month and go back down and see what happens.

Message 109 of 133
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
How many inquiries do you have across the bureaus?

EX: 5 (Two coming off in late October 2020. One coming off this December 2020)

EQ: 0

TU: 2 (One coming off late October 2020)

Message 110 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.