Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TransUnion Credit Score

According to TransUnion, my Credit Score is a 636...the last time I checked a few weeks ago it was reported as 576... I was elated...because I was under the impression that 620 and above is pretty fair credit...however on the scale...it said my credit was of a "D" grade... All my credit experts...how would you gauge a 636 score? Poor? Fair? Good? Thanks
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TransUnion Credit Score

If you have not checked your scores via MyFICO then you do not know your scores. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ATL, I pulled a TU cr on oct.1, and it gave my score as 676(also a "D"rating). I thought I was getting a lender accepted score, and as you, thought the score was decent....not great or good...just decent.

It was only a week later, I discover that their score is actually a "FAKO" (pronounced Fake-O), as they have a thermometer graph of 501 being the lowest, and 990 the highest. FICO scoring range is 330(I believe, correct me anyone if I'm wrong) to 850.

I've learned my lesson. Never order a CR unless it's through miFico, as they(as I understand it), report the true FICO scores.

Hope this helps.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry...I'll check...but I was always under the impression that the score being reported through the ACTUAL credit bureau was the correct one... One last question...and I didn't see this particular topic on the credit 101 thread As aforementioned...I went to transunion.com and paid for the one time credit score thing...which gave me the 636 credit score (I'm ASSUMING this is "FAKO")..I ordered this about 10 minutes ago.. However another 5 minutes after that...I decide to order the 3 in 1 credit thing...through truecredit.com (which is through TU)...and my score on the truecredit.com was a 601 for Transunion....does Truecredit.com report the FICO? Is this the more accurate assessment?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ATLien wrote:
Sorry...I'll check...but I was always under the impression that the score being reported through the ACTUAL credit bureau was the correct one... One last question...and I didn't see this particular topic on the credit 101 thread As aforementioned...I went to transunion.com and paid for the one time credit score thing...which gave me the 636 credit score (I'm ASSUMING this is "FAKO")..I ordered this about 10 minutes ago.. However another 5 minutes after that...I decide to order the 3 in 1 credit thing...through truecredit.com (which is through TU)...and my score on the truecredit.com was a 601 for Transunion....does Truecredit.com report the FICO? Is this the more accurate assessment?

From the Credit 101 thread:

www.myfico.com sells FICO scores for EQ, TU, and EX.

www.truecredit.com or www.transunion.com sells FAKO scores only.

Message 5 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry...I'll check...but I was always under the impression that the score being reported through the ACTUAL credit bureau was the correct one...

I suppose that every score reported from every source is "correct", in that it matches the algorithm of that particular site, just as every baby is beautiful in its parents' eyes. But it is the FICO scores, including some FICO-derived scores tweaked for auto loans and credit cards, that are used by the overwhelming majority of lenders. And we all know the commercial Golden Rule: them's that gots the gold, makes the rules.

Now when it comes to where you get your credit REPORTS, I would say that those that come directly from each site are best. They have the most detail, etc. The reports that you get through myFICO, TrueCredit, etc. are a bit simplified, and sometimes have inaccuracies or strange graphical misrepresentations.

edit to remove an apostrophe from the possessive "its"--oh, the shame!

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-09-2007 02:59 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

By far, the most detailed credit reports I have ever seen are the free ones made avaiable once a year for each bureau on annualcreditreport.com, which was set up as a joint venture by the three CR agencies in response to the federal law mandating that free reports be made avaiblable once a year to all consumers.  Reports there are much more detailed and extensive.  For example, ALL inquiries, soft and hard, are listed, along with an explanation. They dont give scores, just reports, but well worth a few minutes of your time.  If you havent taken advantage of this service in the last 12 months, I highly encourage you to do so!
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@RobertEG wrote:
By far, the most detailed credit reports I have ever seen are the free ones made avaiable once a year for each bureau on annualcreditreport.com, which was set up as a joint venture by the three CR agencies in response to the federal law mandating that free reports be made avaiblable once a year to all consumers. Reports there are much more detailed and extensive. For example, ALL inquiries, soft and hard, are listed, along with an explanation. They dont give scores, just reports, but well worth a few minutes of your time. If you havent taken advantage of this service in the last 12 months, I highly encourage you to do so!

That is so true! When I posted above, I thought that the reports that I purchased directly on each site were as good as it gets--and they are better than the re-generated ones from myFICO, TrueCredit, etc. But I pulled my remaining two freebies yesterday, and I was astonished to see that they have even more than the paid site-ordered reports! Why can't we get this level of detail when we pay? That's just crazy.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

they are using vantage scoring.  big difference.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.