Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to increase my score by 10 points over the next 30 days

tag
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to increase my score by 10 points over the next 30 days

@Revelate wrote:

Think you need to slap your lender as well: hard inquiries every 60 days is an utterly lame practice.  It might be common as I'm unfamiliar with new construction loans, but it's doing nothing beneficial for your scores with their doing that.  See if they'll accept reports from the bureaus or something other than that to show your good behavior.

I thought so myself when I read that. They are totally working against you.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 25
DrMac210
Regular Contributor

I would guess that the combination of having your only collection removed AND the decreased UTI should gather you more than enough points to get to 700+.

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 760, TU 740, EX 750 (myfico July 2015)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Message 12 of 25
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Lenders have guidelines on often they need a credit report in some cases they cannot underwrite a loan with a credit report old than 60 days.  In terms of a credit report 60 day or more old credit report a lot can have happened between that pull and when they underwrite the loan.  I have seen a credit report change drastically in 7 days. Also I would not be that sure that decreasing the util and collection account removal will push the score over 700.  It might but I am not that sure for two reasons. If you read the OP resposne to my post earlier in this discussion  you will see why I am not that sure. The first scrore reason you have removed the collection account part of the score but there are other late payments. Secondly I think the student loans are more the cause of the second score reason more than a revolving account being at 31%. If it was the revolving debt a different score reason would be showing.  I hope I am wrong in this case and that median score goes over 700.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 13 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not debating any of that Andy as I agree with you, but repeated pulls every 2 months and from the description was going on for an extended period of time.  I fully understand how much a report can change in 2 months (only have to look at my own to see that recently) and absolutely for underwriting, but every 2 months for a year or whatever?  That sounds, well, lame and unnecessary.

        
Message 14 of 25
shanao621
Regular Contributor

I really hope that I can get those 8 points because I spoke to my loan officer today and he had the bank underwriter review my application and the feedback from the underwriter was that the score is the only thing keeping them from completing the mortgage commitment and moving the application through. Everything else checks out fine. All I can do now is wait, I'm hopeful things will go my way. Fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted! 

Starting Score: FICO TU 503 FICO EX 470 FICO EQ 498
Current Score: FICO TU 705 EX 698 FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700 Club

Message 15 of 25
shanao621
Regular Contributor

So a quick update. The builder has let us know the house is essentially done and he would like to schedule to close at the end of March. The bank underwriter reviewed my file and confirmed that everything looks good and the only problem is the score. At the end of January my middle score was 692, high score 702. At the time I had 3 of my cc reporting a balance. Card 1 was reporting $175 with a CL of $2000 (9% utilization), Card 2 was reporting $21 with a credit limit of $600 (4% utilization) and Card 3 was reporting $788 with a credit limit of $2500 (32% utilization). My total utilization was 7%. So I tried to take everyone's suggestions and optimize my utilization to get the 8 points I need. I paid off all my cc except for 1. I also had CLI on 4 of my accounts. The only account showing a balance will report this week. The balance is $218 with a credit limit of $3000 (7% utilization), my total utilization is 1%. 

I have 4 closed accounts that show late payments, my worse late was 90+ days in December 2007. I have 2 60+ days late from 2008 and my last 30 day late was in Apr 2010. There isn't anything I can do about those I've tried to GW them but had no success. I have student loans that I have a perfect payment history with but the balance of those loans exceeds $100k. I am slowly chipping away at the principal balance but there isn't much progress I'll be able to make. Those are the major issues affecting my score but there is little I can do about them. 

Fingers crossed this gives me the 8 points I need. I'm very hopeful. All my accounts have updated with the CRA except for the account that was at 32% utilization and my scores have done nothing. I know my scores will go up, do you think 10 points, maybe 15? 

Message 16 of 25
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@shanao621 wrote:

So a quick update. The builder has let us know the house is essentially done and he would like to schedule to close at the end of March. The bank underwriter reviewed my file and confirmed that everything looks good and the only problem is the score. At the end of January my middle score was 692, high score 702. At the time I had 3 of my cc reporting a balance. Card 1 was reporting $175 with a CL of $2000 (9% utilization), Card 2 was reporting $21 with a credit limit of $600 (4% utilization) and Card 3 was reporting $788 with a credit limit of $2500 (32% utilization). My total utilization was 7%. So I tried to take everyone's suggestions and optimize my utilization to get the 8 points I need. I paid off all my cc except for 1. I also had CLI on 4 of my accounts. The only account showing a balance will report this week. The balance is $218 with a credit limit of $3000 (7% utilization), my total utilization is 1%. 

I have 4 closed accounts that show late payments, my worse late was 90+ days in December 2007. I have 2 60+ days late from 2008 and my last 30 day late was in Apr 2010. There isn't anything I can do about those I've tried to GW them but had no success. I have student loans that I have a perfect payment history with but the balance of those loans exceeds $100k. I am slowly chipping away at the principal balance but there isn't much progress I'll be able to make. Those are the major issues affecting my score but there is little I can do about them. 

Fingers crossed this gives me the 8 points I need. I'm very hopeful. All my accounts have updated with the CRA except for the account that was at 32% utilization and my scores have done nothing. I know my scores will go up, do you think 10 points, maybe 15? 

Unless I am reading this wrong, since your last credit pull, you have made your UTIL improvements that you outlined above, as well as having your collection drop off? If so, when they pull your final report to seal the deal, I am pretty confident that you will have gained your 16 points. Improvements:

1. Last collection: gone

2. Total UTIL: down to 1%

3. Biggest card UTIL: From 34% to 7%

4. Cards reporting a balance: From 3 to 1

That's a good amount of improvement, and should probably net you at least the points you need. Good luck!

EDIT: After reading more carefully, it looks like you have pulled your score from this site with all the changes but #3 reflected? Even if that's the case, have faith! UTIL is a MAJOR component of your score, and lowering that card from 34% to 7% is a great step. Still can happen.

Message 17 of 25
shanao621
Regular Contributor

msf12555 wrote: Unless I am reading this wrong, since your last credit pull, you have made your UTIL improvements that you outlined above, as well as having your collection drop off? If so, when they pull your final report to seal the deal, I am pretty confident that you will have gained your 16 points. Improvements:1. Last collection: gone 2. Total UTIL: down to 1% 3. Biggest card UTIL: From 34% to 7% 4. Cards reporting a balance: From 3 to 1 That's a good amount of improvement, and should probably net you at least the points you need. Good luck! EDIT: After reading more carefully, it looks like you have pulled your score from this site with all the changes but #3 reflected? Even if that's the case, have faith! UTIL is a MAJOR component of your score, and lowering that card from 34% to 7% is a great step. Still can happen.

I hope you are right, I feel good about it, the Equifax score actually didn't change at all once the collection account was removed, which shocked me! My hope is that the utilization improvement will cause it to go up more significantly with both improvements. I got 20 points on both Experian and Transunion. I truly believe I will get at least 10 points because I will not longer be dinged for the 32% utilization of the one card. If nothing else that alone should get me the 10 points I need. I'm just so anxious because I want to be so excited about the house. I truly believe it will work out fine. I have faith! 

Message 18 of 25
shanao621
Regular Contributor

So here's a quick update. I did everything that was suggested on the board, the last time I checked my scores I was still at 692 for a middle score but that didn't include my utilization change. So I reapplied yesterday morning and didn't hear a thing back from the bank. Given the situation I would have expected a call if there were issues because this is the builder's bank and our closing date is March 27th, so we are under the gun. Anyway, about an hour ago the loan officer I deal with e-mailed me to clarify my employment dates with my current company. I'm viewing this as a positive sign that suggests I passed the 700 score hurdle and now they are actually putting my file together with the underwriter. I'm anxious but excited!! Fingers crossed all goes well from here!

Message 19 of 25
nvangel08

My husband and I are currently getting a house built also. My husband is in Real Estate class getting his license and I will be rite behind him. The mortgage company we are going through also ran a report and told us to get our scores to a certain number. That was a few months ago and since then they have not ran the report again. They must understand that they are contradicting themselves by telling you that you need to get to a certain number but then every time the do an inquery that brings your number down. Sounds like an up hill battle to me. I am going to talk to my lender some time today to find out why that is happening in your case.

Starting Score: EQ:611 TU:609 EX:629
Current Score: EQ:666 TU:661 EX:648
Goal Score: 700

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.