Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UTI help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UTI help

When calculating UTI, do I only calculate my revolving credit?  I've got two school loans sitting in instalment loans.... those aren't added to the UTI, right?  Also, I just bought a house (hasn't hit the credit report yet), I don't use that in the UTI either, right? 

If it helps, I just bought my first home, have two credit cards sitting in my wallet (that I obtained last month), have 2 more credit cards on thier way to my mailbox and sitting on 30 messages for two other credit cards, sitting on two baddies that I'm waiting to drop off, and am now gardening for awhile.   I started credit repair last year and was able to really turn my scores around.  My scores have dropped since applying for the credit cards this month.  EQ was 716 now 704. TU no change.  EX 733 now 711.  I know once the inquiries drop off that will help raise my socres.  I'm hoping I can babysit my UTI to raise those scores back up. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: UTI help

@Anonymous wrote:

When calculating UTI, do I only calculate my revolving credit?  I've got two school loans sitting in instalment loans.... those aren't added to the UTI, right?  Also, I just bought a house (hasn't hit the credit report yet), I don't use that in the UTI either, right? 

If it helps, I just bought my first home, have two credit cards sitting in my wallet (that I obtained last month), have 2 more credit cards on thier way to my mailbox and sitting on 30 messages for two other credit cards, sitting on two baddies that I'm waiting to drop off, and am now gardening for awhile.   I started credit repair last year and was able to really turn my scores around.  My scores have dropped since applying for the credit cards this month.  EQ was 716 now 704. TU no change.  EX 733 now 711.  I know once the inquiries drop off that will help raise my socres.  I'm hoping I can babysit my UTI to raise those scores back up. 

If I'm not mistaken, it's 4 separate components.

1. Overall credit card utilization (based on statement balance)

2. Per-card credit card utilization

3. Overall installment loan utilization

4. Per-loan installment loan utilization

Correction 5/21/16... I've recently learned that there is no per-loan installment utilization factor... just the overall utilization in installment loans.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Two separate calculations, revolving and installment are distinct.

Revolving:

1) Aggregate utilization (usually statement balance but some lenders report end-of-month)

2) Per-card individual utilization

3) Number of tradelines reporting balances: this appears to be a straight percentage, >50% is a drop, and there seems to be one around 20% but don't think we've got that entirely nailed down when we're talking FICO 8.  FICO 04 is different or my file is wonky.

Installment:

1) Aggregate utilization only; individual doesn't matter based on my data (identical score movements positive and negative during my testing).

@Anonymous: the mortgage and student loans are all lumped into the installment bucket, and unless you have a ton of money to kick to it (unlikely or you might've just paid cash for the house) there isn't a lot of gimmicks you can realistically do here; just manage your revolving utilization and never miss a payment and you'll be fine.

        
Message 3 of 14
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Revolving:

1) Aggregate utilization (usually statement balance but some lenders report end-of-month)

3) Number of tradelines reporting balances: this appears to be a straight percentage, >50% is a drop, and there seems to be one around 20% but don't think we've got that entirely nailed down when we're talking FICO 8.  FICO 04 is different or my file is wonky.

Installment:

1) Aggregate utilization only; individual doesn't matter based on my data (identical score movements positive and negative during my testing).

@ @Anonymous: the mortgage and student loans are all lumped into the installment bucket, and unless you have a ton of money to kick to it (unlikely or you might've just paid cash for the house) there isn't a lot of gimmicks you can realistically do here; just manage your revolving utilization and never miss a payment and you'll be fine.

I see the following when reviewing # cards reporting: 2 of 6 (33%) = 3 of 6 (50%) no score change, 4 of 6 (67%) => score drop; 4 of 6 (67%) = 5 of 6 (80%) no score change. I see a few points drop at 4 of 6 with Fico 08 enhanced and both Fico 04 Classic/Enhanced. The wild card is 6 of 6 due to AMEXStill of the opinion that count (as opposed to strictly %) is looked at.

Thresholds for aggregate balance to installment loan ratio are likely 70% and 10% - IMO.

General Note: Some loans are not classified as installment loans. 

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Revolving:

Installment:

@ @Anonymous: the mortgage and student loans are all lumped into the installment bucket, and unless you have a ton of money to kick to it (unlikely or you might've just paid cash for the house) there isn't a lot of gimmicks you can realistically do here; just manage your revolving utilization and never miss a payment and you'll be fine.

I see the following when reviewing # cards reporting: 2 of 6 (33%) = 3 of 6 (50%) no score change, 4 of 6 (67%) => score drop; 4 of 6 (67%) = 5 of 6 (80%) no score change. I see a few points drop at 4 of 6 with Fico 08 enhanced and both Fico 04 Classic/Enhanced. The wild card is 6 of 6 due to AMEXStill of the opinion that count (as opposed to strictly %) is looked at.

Thresholds for aggregate balance to installment loan ratio are likely 70% and 10% - IMO.

Yeah my data lines up there too, 4/9 fine, 5/9 drop (above 50%) and I also got a 7/14 fine 8/14 drop this past month and that matches everyone else's too.  Where I'm a little skeptical is my Beacon 5.0 hasn't moved at all going from 8/14 to 3/14, I thought you once suggested Beacon 5.0 was more sensitive or did I get that backwards?

        
Message 5 of 14
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Revolving:

Installment:

Yeah my data lines up there too, 4/9 fine, 5/9 drop (above 50%) and I also got a 7/14 fine 8/14 drop this past month and that matches everyone else's too.  Where I'm a little skeptical is my Beacon 5.0 hasn't moved at all going from 8/14 to 3/14, I thought you once suggested Beacon 5.0 was more sensitive or did I get that backwards?

You are correct I did say EQ Fico 04 is more sensitive to # cards reporting - and for me it is by a huge margin. However, I have 3 primary cards and AMEX only comes out to play as #4, #5 or #6. I have determined that AMEX causes turmoil on EQ Fico 4 (Beacon 5) when it reports. So, the hyper sensitivity I am seeing with EQ could be AMEX charge card related. The impact of 6 of 6 reporting on EQ Fico 04 compared to TU and EX is profound (before/during/after screen shots shown in other posts).

At the end of the day my Fico 08 has not changed in 2 years so I rely on Fico 04 or Fico enhanced versions to get some indication how my profile reacts to factors.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, ALL of this is very helpful!  There's a lot to take in, but I'm up for the challange.  Thank you all!

Message 7 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

At the end of the day my Fico 08 has not changed in 2 years so I rely on Fico 04 or Fico enhanced versions to get some indication how my profile reacts to factors.

Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850 (3/2016)
Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850 (3/2016)

What are the steps you propose to take to improve (increase) your Risk Factors to get away from that pesky Perfect Credit score?

Nobody wants a Perfect Credit Score Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 14
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

I am contemplating purchase of a new car and using my AMEX charge card for a $10k downpayment.  If I take out a 5 year loan for the remainder, I suspect my Fico 08 would drop to around 840. I'd then pay loan down to under 60% to see if score bumps to 845. If interest rates are too high, I'd likely still use the AMEX but then pay cash for the remaining balance. Either way EQ Fico 04 might react violently to my AMEX. 

It's still up in the air at the moment. I'm a bit concerned about car insurance rates tripling (a couple recent speeding tickets would come to light)

Message 9 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Revolving:

Installment:

@Anonymous: the mortgage and student loans are all lumped into the installment bucket, and unless you have a ton of money to kick to it (unlikely or you might've just paid cash for the house) there isn't a lot of gimmicks you can realistically do here; just manage your revolving utilization and never miss a payment and you'll be fine.

I stand corrected

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.