Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Payment History for CCs

tag
unrlmth
Established Member

Understanding Payment History for CCs

I want to try and build as much of a payment history as possible on all of my cards.  I have a few questions as how to best do this.

It seems like the consensous is that you should let a balance of 1-9% report one one credit card for best util score.

Now this leads to 3 different possibilities for payments.

1. Let balance post, pay card.

2. Use card and pay before statement cuts.

3. Don't use card, 0 statement balance.

Will all of these count towards your payment history? Just the first 2?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Understanding Payment History for CCs

I don't think anyone cares as long as you're not late or maxed out!

Message 2 of 7
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

An unused credit card does not show an active payment history. It will look better if you charge that candy bar or what ever each month and pay it off.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 7
unrlmth
Established Member

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

An unused credit card does not show an active payment history. It will look better if you charge that candy bar or what ever each month and pay it off.

What about paying the balance before the statement cuts? Will that count towards my payment history?

I care more about building a payment history than my utilization at this point.

Message 4 of 7
EW800
Valued Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

This is an interesting topic to me.  I have been through a major rebuild the last two years.  I have brought my scores up a lot, however now I am thinking I could have done better.  Through much of this rebuild, I had a couple of credit cards at $0 - basically parked them and did not use them for many, many months.  I guess I could have helped myself a bit if I used them and paid them, therefore showing a few more on-time perfect payments?  Either way, I have so pleased to be about 700 area vs. the lower 500's two years ago!  Smiley Happy

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2023: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $48.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $22.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $21K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $296K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 7
GFer
Valued Contributor

There's no history if there's no use.

This is why we get a temporary 'ding' when using a dormant card. Not to mention; I've had  a couple of cc company's actually force a hp to use a cc after being sock-drawered. I've found for me, that if I use mine every three months or so, I have no issues. YMMV

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

@unrlmth wrote:

I want to try and build as much of a payment history as possible on all of my cards.  I have a few questions as how to best do this.

It seems like the consensous is that you should let a balance of 1-9% report one one credit card for best util score.

Now this leads to 3 different possibilities for payments.

1. Let balance post, pay card.

2. Use card and pay before statement cuts.

3. Don't use card, 0 statement balance.

Will all of these count towards your payment history? Just the first 2?

I would suggest keeping the card active.

Whether you pay the balance before the statement date or not is typically driven by whether you wish to optimize reported utilization.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.