Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding balance changes and score updates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understanding balance changes and score updates

I paid a card down by $15k from $24k to $9k and my score did not change at all. The score simulator indicated based on my credit profile to expect a 20-25 point adjustment. Confused as to why there was 0. 

6 REPLIES 6
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Understanding balance changes and score updates

sorry to hear that

the score simulators are not accurate at all

how long have you waited after the paydown?  the creditors do not always report right away - and the CRA's do not react right away as well

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the balance update reported to TU and EQ so far, so they do see the change. It's as of the past few days. Are you saying that it's possible the score would still update but might take another cycle? Is that common?

Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid a card down by $15k from $24k to $9k and my score did not change at all. The score simulator indicated based on my credit profile to expect a 20-25 point adjustment. Confused as to why there was 0. 

In order to be able to reach a conclusion that your score did not change despite a balance reduction, you would need to know the date the score was pulled, and whether the balance reduction was in the report when the score was pulled.

If you tell us what score you're talking about, and where, when, and how you are getting the information on the score and on the balance reduction, I can tell you if you have the information you need to draw the conclusion you reached.

(Parenthetically, as @RSX has already observed, the simulators are not reliable, but in this case I doubt you have the information you would need to know if the simulator was off or if it was right.)

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there. Yes, I got a MyFICO alert that the balance change for the credit card (Amex Blue, if it matters) was reported to TU and EQ. The new balance is in the latest report. The score was not affected when the balance change was reported, and that is the only thing reported recently. The model is FICO 8.

Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey there. Yes, I got a MyFICO alert that the balance change for the credit card (Amex Blue, if it matters) was reported to TU and EQ. The new balance is in the latest report. The score was not affected when the balance change was reported, and that is the only thing reported recently. The model is FICO 8.

If the alert is reporting the balance change, and has no change in the score, I guess the simulator was wrong.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Im sure you have more than that 1 card. Whats the util on all cards. Not just that one.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.