Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected point drop and gain- have an idea

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unexpected point drop and gain- have an idea

So last week my Ex dropped 3 points. No reason. Nothing changed. Amounts owed and util was all the same I have no idea why.

But then I woke up today and jumped 22 points to the good. Again the same amounts and util but because of the new month things had aged I guess. So here's what I noticed. 

1) my most recent 30 day late turned 3 years old. So I have heard that lates become less significant as they get older so perhaps 3 year is a key number

2) I had 2 cc turn 3 months. These are my second and third acquired cc. I have seen that 3 cc are a key number to have. I made a lot of changes on my report inn the last 2 months so when I had 3 reporting my util was higher so I didn't notice any significant jump. So perhaps 3 months is when you get the benefit of 3 cc.

3) I had 3 cc turn 2 months.

I had previously 2 positives effecting my report prior and 4 negative. It switched to 3 and 3 now. The factor that was negative was few accounts in good standing. It turned to a positive that says recently paying bills on time. 

So I am thinking that it is a combination of all of these factors but could also see any one of them being the main score changer.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unexpected point drop and gain- have an idea

So last week my Ex dropped 3 points. No reason. Nothing changed. 

Scores cannot change if nothing on your CR changes.  This is a fundamental understanding of scoring that you need to fully embrace, or you'll forever drive yourself mad.  FICO scores are generated based on credit report data at any given moment in time.  If you have the same data both times, you'll get the same score.  If you are seeing different scores and you're using the same score source (scoring model) it is because the data changed.  You admitted yourself above that you have had a lot of changes going on with your file, so the likelihood of something minor changing that could cause a 3 point drop and having it go unnoticed sounds pretty high to me.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did have a lot of changes once the 5 new cards started reporting. However in October I got the Experian daily trial for 4.95 and check it every morning.

On the day of the 3 point drop all accounts reported same amount owed, limit, and therefore individual as well as total utilization. Only one loan open and that balance was the same. No new accounts reporting. There wasn’t a single thing I can think of as to why there was a drop. It was only 3 points which is why I didn’t come on here looking for help.

I was able to notice all of the factors that could’ve contributed to my point gain yesterday. Just not sure which one caused my gain or combination of all caused it. Which may have had a greater impact.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 3 point change more than likely wouldn't come from a balance utilization threshold crossing.  9 times of 10 such an event would result in a > 3 point shift.  Number of accounts with a balance reported could be a factor.  For example, your utilization could remain exactly the same overall, but if it's with 1 more account with a reported balance it could result in a 3 point drop.  Age of accounts factors changing could result in a score drop.  An old account falling off could also.  Even something as wacky as the account opened date being reported incorrectly for some reason could impact age of accounts factors.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.