cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Update] UTI 9% --> 10% = 9 point drop. But what is 10%?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 9% UTI --> 10% UTI = 9 point drop. But what is 10%?

I don’t see why the increase could not have caused the point change. I’m not saying it did ...we can by no means prove it, obviously correlation does not mean causation,but at the same time we cannot disprove that and it sure appears that way at first glance.
I do agree the text does not necessarily correlate with the point change although sometimes it can
Message 41 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don’t see why the increase could not have caused the point change. I’m not saying it did ...we can by no means prove it, obviously correlation does not mean causation,but at the same time we cannot disprove that and it sure appears that way at first glance.
I do agree the text does not necessarily correlate with the point change although sometimes it can

I must be missing something very important about these daily reports we pay for from Experian, and the full reports we get from myFICO, either quarterly or monthly. Do they show everything that can cause a change?

I thought they did, but your reply and @SouthJamaica 's reply suggest they do not.

If they do show everything that can change, then my report just proved that there is either a point loss from crossing some mysterious balance threshold ($100?) or from passing one of 3%, 4%, 5%, or 6% thresholds on the way from 2% to 7%.

Because nothing changed at Experian from the day before - that I am able to see on a report - besides an extra month of ageing and a good payment for the last statement balance. I have a really boring credit file - 2 cards that just recorded the highest balance they will ever have on any day of any billing cycle until May (when I jump back to 8% from 5%).

Message 42 of 59
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

It's a matter of timing, @Anonymous 

The MyFICO alerts aren't in real time

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 43 of 59
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

All right @Anonymous you insisted on my reporting even when there was a different rounding result on different pages at Experian.com....  I guess it's the programmer in you.

Today one account went from 19.6% to below 1%, causing overall utilization to drop from 8.17% to 7.43%, bringing 7 points back into the fold. Only thing, EX rounded 7.43 % down to 7% on the "Credit Reports" page, and up to 8% on "Credit Summary" page.

What does it mean? I don't have a clue. But I'm sure you and @iv will figure it out. Although I will no doubt be unable to understand your solution.

Message 44 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

You and I both have Experian CreditWorks though. It's the same there. I have no changes in my EX reports going back weeks. Just the positive ones I mentioned.

I mean, what else is there that can change that I am missing? Some value on the real credit file that doesn't show on our EX reports?

Message 45 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

All right @Anonymous you insisted on my reporting even when there was a different rounding result on different pages at Experian.com....  I guess it's the programmer in you.

Today one account went from 19.6% to below 1%, causing overall utilization to drop from 8.17% to 7.43%, bringing 7 points back into the fold. Only thing, EX rounded 7.43 % down to 7% on the "Credit Reports" page, and up to 8% on "Credit Summary" page.

What does it mean? I don't have a clue. But I'm sure you and @iv will figure it out. Although I will no doubt be unable to understand your solution.

I think that's more to do with what @NRB525 said about individual utilization crossing the 10% threshold. Using @iv 's intervals, both those aggregate utilization percentages are below 9 anyway. Using my ceil(x) theory, it's the same anyway - 9 to 8, both still under the 10% threshold.

Are you thinking that a change from 8 to 7% aggregate is causing the positive score change?

Message 46 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CassieCard: yes the reports show everything from which a change could occur. The MF alerts are event driven as you will understand. Any score change that has occurred is also tacked onto the alert but there’s not necessarily a correlation between the alert and the score change. Consequently if there is a score change it is intuitive the text explains the reason but that’s not necessarily the case. It could be from a factor that does not cause an alert such as aging or an inquiry dropping off or something of that nature that does not trigger an alert itself.
The only thing they could’ve caused your point loss was the balance increase if there were no other changes between your Experian report from the day before. Now was is it caused because of crossing a dollar amount or a utilization percentage amount I do not know.
Message 47 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@CassieCard: yes the reports show everything from which a change could occur.

Thank you! This is what I really needed to know, because this means that balance change was the only thing that could have caused that drop.

The MF alerts are event driven as you will understand. Any score change that has occurred is also tacked onto the alert but there’s not necessarily a correlation between the alert and the score change. Consequently if there is a score change it is intuitive the text explains the reason but that’s not necessarily the case. It could be from a factor that does not cause an alert such as aging or an inquiry dropping off or something of that nature that does not trigger an alert itself.

Way back in this thread, I posted this about granularity of Experian CreditWorks alert changes vs myFICO:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Update-UTI-9-gt-10-9-point-drop-But-what-is-10/m-p/5491201/highlight/true#M150700

I have both, and Experian is much faster than myFICO. As you can see from the screen snips in my post, Experian can also help you narrow down what caused a score change, whereas myFICO just gives you the final result, not the intermediary calculations that EX's service will show.

The only thing they could’ve caused your point loss was the balance increase if there were no other changes between your Experian report from the day before. Now was is it caused because of crossing a dollar amount or a utilization percentage amount I do not know.

Well, you did mention something about 4 or 5% being a possible threshold. I won't be able to test that until April's report, when I go from a 6/6/6 utilization to 5/5/5. Right now, I think it's highly likely you are right.

And check out the graphic below, which is from a FICO whitepaper on machine learning and FICO scores. If we take it as fact, it says that I would lose 15 points going from under 6% to a 7-19% interval. With a .20 weighting that would be -3 pts. Just something to think about.

fico-scorecard-utilization-from-ml-white-paper_Sep_2018.png

Message 48 of 59
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

You and I both have Experian CreditWorks though. It's the same there. I have no changes in my EX reports going back weeks. Just the positive ones I mentioned.

I mean, what else is there that can change that I am missing? Some value on the real credit file that doesn't show on our EX reports?

I don't know. For me, any time there has been a score change on EX there has been at least one obvious change in the report.

Message 49 of 59
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I think that's more to do with what @NRB525 said about individual utilization crossing the 10% threshold. Using @iv 's intervals, both those aggregate utilization percentages are below 9 anyway. Using my ceil(x) theory, it's the same anyway - 9 to 8, both still under the 10% threshold.

Are you thinking that a change from 8 to 7% aggregate is causing the positive score change?

I do think that, but I'm not certain of it.

Message 50 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.