cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Usage” on my credit report(but not what you think)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

“Usage” on my credit report(but not what you think)

So I’m well aware of what utilization of credit lines is and how it’s calculated and it’s effect on my credit score. This particular question doesn’t refer to that, it refers to something else.

I’m currently signed up for the Experian daily score monitoring through their app and I’ve been looking through my credit report on a regular basis. I noticed that if you click on the credit report and pull up each of the trade lines individually, gives a lot of information about each trade line. One of the itemized pieces of information is “usage“. On each of my 4 tradelines it has my usage as “Fair”.

Does anyone know what this is referring to? I know it can’t be the current utilization of the credit line because two of the credit cards are completely paid off with a zero balance(although I had carried a balance on them in the past).

Does this have any impact on my credit score or the ability to get credit in the future? Is it something that underwriters for mortgages or credit cards look at?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: “Usage” on my credit report(but not what you think)

It is, in fact, referring to individual card utilization. All of my accounts were listed as 'fair' or 'no credit' -- all either had a $0 (no credit) balance or less than 28.9% (fair) util. Until today - I let my Citi card report 38% util and the indicator changed from 'fair' to 'medium'. I assume if my usage were to meet or exceed 68.9%, the indicator would move to 'high'.

This would have no addittional affect on scoring / report reviews. Just the normal utilization effect - I lost my usual 4 FICO 8 points due to the higher reported balance.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 7
Trudy
Valued Contributor

I also have an Experian subscription and I'm unable to locate any reference to fair, good, etc with the exception of the Summary tab and that appears to reference my score, payment history, etc.  But not specifically my Usage. 

When I click on Credit Report it provides a summary below of credit information.  A box for My Overall Credit Usage which is my UTL.  While on the Credit Report tab if I select Accounts to see a list of all of my individual accounts which I'm assuming is what you're referring to, there is a column for Usage which corresponds with the UTL for that tradeline.  It matches the Usage shown if I click on that account to see the details.  It also matches if I select print report.

In every place on my account, Usage references my UTL and impacts the way you likely know UTL impacts your score.

EX Acct Detail.pngEX Summary1.png

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 3 of 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

Yes, correct.

The 'Usage' field is displayed differently on the website vs. mobile app.   The website shows the actual precentage while the mobile app reflects 'fair', 'medium', and (i assume) 'high'.  This may change with one of the the next mobile app updates -- while always present on the website (at least for the past year & 1/2) , the usuage field on the mobile app is fairly new -- showed up about 2 updates / months ago so it may eventually change to reflect the actual precentage to match the website. 

Either way - the bottom line is that field refers to individual account utilization.

@Trudy wrote:

I also have an Experian subscription and I'm unable to locate any reference to fair, good, etc with the exception of the Summary tab and that appears to reference my score, payment history, etc.  But not specifically my Usage. 

When I click on Credit Report it provides a summary below of credit information.  A box for My Overall Credit Usage which is my UTL.  While on the Credit Report tab if I select Accounts to see a list of all of my individual accounts which I'm assuming is what you're referring to, there is a column for Usage which corresponds with the UTL for that tradeline.  It matches the Usage shown if I click on that account to see the details.  It also matches if I select print report.

In every place on my account, Usage references my UTL and impacts the way you likely know UTL impacts your score.

EX Acct Detail.pngEX Summary1.png

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 7
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Never used the mobile app.  Good to know.  Thanks.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does this have any impact on my credit score or the ability to get credit in the future? Is it something that underwriters for mortgages or credit cards look at?

No.  What you're looking at is front-end CMS fluff. 

Potential lenders do not see CMS fluff.  Any time you see anything with the words poor, excellent, fair, good, etc. it's just front-end summary fluff trying to dumb things down for those that may not be able to interpret the information related to something like utilization themselves.  In no way does Fico scoring consider fair/good etc. "ratings" that a CMS may show in their algorithm.

Message 6 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I’m well aware of what utilization of credit lines is and how it’s calculated and it’s effect on my credit score. This particular question doesn’t refer to that, it refers to something else.

I’m currently signed up for the Experian daily score monitoring through their app and I’ve been looking through my credit report on a regular basis. I noticed that if you click on the credit report and pull up each of the trade lines individually, gives a lot of information about each trade line. One of the itemized pieces of information is “usage“. On each of my 4 tradelines it has my usage as “Fair”.

Does anyone know what this is referring to? I know it can’t be the current utilization of the credit line because two of the credit cards are completely paid off with a zero balance(although I had carried a balance on them in the past).

It's some kind of glitch in their mobile app.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.