cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization dropped and no score change?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilization dropped and no score change?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How totally frustrating! 

Do these other scorecards tend to have a lower threshold.....

Very little is known about how the algorithm varies between scorecards. 

or should I just put off my plans to pay large amounts of this card off every month and just spread it out to take advantage of the 12 months at 0%? If there is no scoring benefit, the $200 a month payment to hit 0 in 11 months would seem wise since I’m digging in the garden anyway. 

If you are gardening, then I wouldn't worry about my CC balances or credit scores.  It's not like you will be needing a higher score for something.

Well I actually might try US Bank for the Cash+ and Gold Checking when my repo falls off Experian in July.

I don’t have any other big expenses right now so I might as well just go ahead and pay it down. I really don’t like being in debt and the quicker I pay this off, the less frustrating Sync’s random reporting will be since I can go back to just one card reporting a balance. 

I will keep tabs on my score every month. I have a feeling that TU, being devoid of the repo and leaving only my BK, probably got a score lift. I’ll know when Disco updates. 

For some reason, my Experian likes to dig in at a specific score and stay there for months while EQ and TU can fluctuate multiple times a month. Experian was stuck at 670 from July til December when I got an inquiry from BBVA and it went to 671 and then down to 662 when my loan reported PIF and my NFCU BT showed up in January. I should have known that the score drop would have been more than 9 points if I took a utilization hit in addition to credit mix. 

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I get that, it just seems odd that Experian labels it as a FICO score alert in the email. 

Score alert yes, again because you're being provided with a fresh score.  That does not mean that the "score alert" (which is just saying "here's a new updated score") has anything to do with the FICO alert received indicating a change to your CR (increased credit limit).  I find this extremely frustrating the same way you do, as do many others, but please understand that these are two very different things.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I get that, it just seems odd that Experian labels it as a FICO score alert in the email. 

Score alert yes, again because you're being provided with a fresh score.  That does not mean that the "score alert" (which is just saying "here's a new updated score") has anything to do with the FICO alert received indicating a change to your CR (increased credit limit).  I find this extremely frustrating the same way you do, as do many others, but please understand that these are two very different things.

I do understand but you would think since Experian is actually generating these alerts and new scores that they would be on top of this. I understand that myFICO is a third party product that doesn’t even have real-time scores but Experian’s product does have near real-time (daily) Experian score updates so I would expect that if they alert me to something and specifically reference FICO scoring, there is a change. 

Its so frustrating that I canceled the service. I’ll just pull my scores once a month for a $1. 

Actually, scratch that. I’ll take my free scores from my cards. I’ll end up with EQ9 while the other two I’ll get FICO 8 scores but it’s free and I have Experian and Credit Karma for three bureau monitoring. 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Its so frustrating that I canceled the service. I’ll just pull my scores once a month for a $1. 

High-five to you.  I'm a huge fan of paying $0-$1/mo for CMS.  I've written on this forum countless times how $1/mo in many ways is "better" and gets one more than a $30-$60/mo "real" membership.  You made a wise decision in my opinion.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

High-five to you.  I'm a huge fan of paying $0-$1/mo for CMS.  I've written on this forum countless times how $1/mo in many ways is "better" and gets one more than a $30-$60/mo "real" membership.  You made a wise decision in my opinion.

Yeah I have done a free trial with Experian and now a $1 and I pulled myFICO for a month for $29.95 but I get free TU 08 from Sync and Disco, free EQ9 from NFCU, and free Experian 08 and monitoring (they even refresh my score when I get an Experian alert) from their app plus I have WalletHub for daily TU reports and Credit Karma for weekly EQ reports. 

I am definitely a fan of free as well and if I had a card that gave me monthly EQ 08, I would be happy. 

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi gives you EQ BCE 8, which while not the same as Classic 8 is still a really nice/relevent version of EQ to get monthly.  Also after a few months of comparing it to your Classic 8 score you can begin to determine with reasonable accuaracy your EQ Classic 8 score based on your EQ BCE 8 score. 

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi made it clear they aren’t interested in me after putting their stamp on both TU and EX, they sent me a letter denying me just based on TU data. 

I thought about trying for a Best Buy card to get my foot in the door with Citi but I just don’t shop at Best Buy because their return policy for online purchases is horrible. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.