Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization moves to Improve my Score

tag
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

Utilization moves to Improve my Score

Hi all!  I am looking for some advice on how we can get the most bang for our bucks on paying down utilization.  We are on the middle of building a house and really want to get my utilization down to get a better rate at closing in August.  

How can we approach this and get the most bang for our buck? 

Additional info: zero negative remarks, scores 690 and above

Thanks in advance!

Plan to get CC Utilization down
Cards at 0%
Lowe’s
JcPenneys
Capital One Quiksilver
Amex Hilton Honors
Nebraska Furniture Mart

27%
Military Star Card $2000/$7200

Below 75%
Shop Your Way MasterCard $5700/9400 (I hate this card but don’t want to close it before closing)
Chase Sapphire $7000/$10,000

Over 75%
NFCU $24,950/$27,000
NFCU $13,940/$14,000
USAA Amex $14,000/$15,000

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Utilization moves to Improve my Score

@armywifelong03 wrote:

Hi all!  I am looking for some advice on how we can get the most bang for our bucks on paying down utilization.  We are on the middle of building a house and really want to get my utilization down to get a better rate at closing in August.  

Thanks in advance!

Cards at 0%
Lowe’s
JcPenneys
Capital One Quiksilver
Amex Hilton Honors
Nebraska Furniture Mart

27%

Below 75%
Shop Your Way MasterCard $5700/9400 (I hate this card but don’t want to close it before closing)

Over 75%
NFCU $24,950/$27,000
NFCU $13,940/$14,000

How much money do you have to put towards your debt? Or are you just looking for a general recommendation? 

Message 2 of 25
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@armywifelong03 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Cards at 0%
Lowe’s
JcPenneys
Capital One Quiksilver
Amex Hilton Honors
Nebraska Furniture Mart

27%

Below 75%

Over 75%
NFCU $24,950/$27,000
NFCU $13,940/$14,000

How much money do you have to put towards your debt? Or are you just looking for a general recommendation? 

Sorry!  That would've helped.  $15-20k. We would prefer to stick around $15,000 though 

Message 3 of 25
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Optimum is to have a tiny balance ($5 but not much more) on a single card with balances of zero on the rest. This balance should be on a major card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX) with a limit below 34k.

If paying your balance down like that isn't feasible, as mentioned, we'd need to know how much money you have to put toward debt.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the limits of all of your cards?  It would be helpful to figure out total utilization and not just individual.

Message 5 of 25
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What are the limits of all of your cards?  It would be helpful to figure out total utilization and not just individual.

I posted the limits for each card. Utilization/limit 

Message 6 of 25
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@armywifelong03 wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

@armywifelong03 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Cards at 0%
Lowe’s
JcPenneys
Capital One Quiksilver
Amex Hilton Honors
Nebraska Furniture Mart

27%

Below 75%

Over 75%
NFCU $24,950/$27,000
NFCU $13,940/$14,000

Sorry!  That would've helped.  $15-20k. We would prefer to stick around $15,000 though 

What are the interest rates? You have several maxed out - are these 0% promos?

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 7 of 25
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

@armywifelong03 wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

@armywifelong03 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Cards at 0%
Lowe’s
JcPenneys
Capital One Quiksilver
Amex Hilton Honors
Nebraska Furniture Mart

27%

Below 75%

Over 75%
NFCU $24,950/$27,000
NFCU $13,940/$14,000

What are the interest rates? You have several maxed out - are these 0% promos?

Unfortunately, no.  17-19%

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@armywifelong03 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What you posted are the individual limits on the cards that you have balances on.  It is impossible to figure out total utilization unless you post the limits on the other cards like the JC Penny, Cap one, etc.  Total UTI is more important with regards to score movement.  If you have 15k-20k to throw at the debt, your answers to my question will help the people here to determine exactly how much you need to throw at it to help your scores as much as possible.

Message 9 of 25
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

Ah. Sorry.  

JCP-$5000

NFM-$6900

Cap One-$2000

Amex Hilton$2000

@Anonymous wrote:

@armywifelong03 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What you posted are the individual limits on the cards that you have balances on.  It is impossible to figure out total utilization unless you post the limits on the other cards like the JC Penny, Cap one, etc.  Total UTI is more important with regards to score movement.  If you have 15k-20k to throw at the debt, your answers to my question will help the people here to determine exactly how much you need to throw at it to help your scores as much as possible.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.