Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will my first credit score be?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What will my first credit score be?

Hello,

I am 18 and have had one secured credit card from CapitalOne for almost 4 months. As soon as I got the card I bumped the credit limit to $1,000 by depositing $800 from the $200 CL. I've been putting around $100 on it every month and have paid it as soon as I get my statement every month.

What kind of credit score can I expect to have once it hits about 6 months history?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What will my first credit score be?

@Anonymous wrote:

What kind of credit score can I expect to have once it hits about 6 months history?

There's no way to predict accurately. Do you have anything else reporting aside from the CC? Where do you anticipate your balance to be at 2 months' out?

Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  Also be advised that scores are not the be all, end all.  You will have an extremely thin file.  You will need to build more accounts to beef up your CR.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

From a credit scoring view, it doesn't matter if your credit limit is $200 or it's $1000, and it doesn't matter if the balance is paid as soon as you get your statement or by the due date. What's important is that you have a low utilization. A $1 balance on a card with a credit limit of $10 scores better than $4500 on a $5000 card.

As for getting more cards, you have your whole life ahead of you, but you have only one chance to see what your score is with your present lean file. Once the time is right, then apply for the best card you have a reasonable chance to get approved for.

Message 4 of 5
asp123
Valued Member

My daughter got her first card last year when she turned 21.  Credit Karma (not official FICO) reported her having a score in the mid-600's.  She was given a starting limit of $700.  She has made several purchases and paid in full each month.  Her Credit Karma is now showing 721. 

Don't believe this score is accurate, but hopefully it means she is making positive progress.

Starting Score: 9/2012 - 609
Current Score: 11/9/2012 TU 620 11/9/2012 EQ 591
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.