cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which score is right

tag
jumptrout51

Which score is right

My 3 scores are 800 plus. Did a prequel inquiry. Was given a 786 score.

Why wouldn't it be in the 800s?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: Which score is right

There are a lot of different scores. Most free apps give Vantage Scores, which aren't used by many lenders, plus there are several versions (most use VS 3, but VS 4 has also been introduced). Most lenders use FICO scores, most often FICO 8 scores (Experian offers a free FiCO 8), but some have moved to FICO 9 scores, and there's a new FICO 10 that somebody will start using at some point. Mortgage lenders often pull FICO 2, 4, or 5 and there are other older versions in use. There are also industry-specific variations, like bank card and auto scores. Not to mention the 3 bureaus have different data, which generates a different set of scores for each of those versions. Sign up for one of the MyFICO plans, and you'll see 28 different scores.

Message 2 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What did you try to qualify for? Cards can be FICO Bankcard 8 or 9. Not just regular ole FICO 8. As mentioned above. Many versions out there.

Message 3 of 10
jumptrout51

I am a top tier MYFICO member. My 3 scores are monitored daily with TU,EQ and EXP.. This was a bank card inquiry. My bankcard scores with all 3 are higher than my Fico 8 scores.
Utilization is at 8%. On time payments at 100% for years. Zero inquiries.
They pulled EXP which reports a 808 Fico but gave the card bank a 786, a 22 point rduction.

Their disclaimer stated the inquiry would not affect my credit score. That is the reason I did it in order to find out what the number would be. 
I did not intend to actually apply for a card.
I got my answer, but wondering why the score was not consistent with my bureau scores.

Message 4 of 10
jumptrout51

I believe I found my answer.
I checked MYFICO account and found a single 786 score reported by EXP under the Fico 3 score model.
FICO 3 states it is LEAST used by banks.

My FICO 8 bankcard score with EXP is 824.

Message 5 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There ya go. Never know who or what version someone will pull. Even depends on where you live also and where you apply what will be pulled.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@jumptrout51 wrote:

I checked MYFICO account and found a single 786 score reported by EXP under the Fico 3 score model.

Have you seen @credit_is_crack's thread?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Which-Report-Will-They-Pull-Part-2/td-p/63797...

USAA and a credit union pull EX FICO 3, and looks like it's part of Cap1's triple pull.

Message 7 of 10
Have1
Regular Contributor

@jumptrout51 wrote:

That's part of the "fun" of applying for credit.  A dealer shotgunned my app to several lenders.  The ones that wouldn't finance the car (My credit was ok with them but the car was beyond their mileage limits) sent me a letter with a score, range and bureau.  Nowhere did it say what scoring model they were using.  I'm still scratching my head on one of them.

Message 8 of 10
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@Have1 wrote:

@jumptrout51 wrote:

That's part of the "fun" of applying for credit.  A dealer shotgunned my app to several lenders.  The ones that wouldn't finance the car (My credit was ok with them but the car was beyond their mileage limits) sent me a letter with a score, range and bureau.  Nowhere did it say what scoring model they were using.  I'm still scratching my head on one of them.

One of the reasons I have never applied for a car loan, too many stories like yours. They "shotgunn" just to get the business, instead of doing whats best for the consumer. 

Message 9 of 10
Have1
Regular Contributor

I knew they were going to do it. I should have told them no, but I was curious if they actually could beat the rate of my pre-approved loan.  They couldn't.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.