cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Is Experian Scores Often the Highest of All Three?

Established Contributor

Why Is Experian Scores Often the Highest of All Three?

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Capital One Quicksilver | Capital One Quicksilver One | Barclay Rewards | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy All approved in 2015. Garden Club member since 10/13/2015. Credit score 742+.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Why Is Experian Scores Often the Highest of All Three?

I do not have the same experience. Experian tends to be my lowest score (TU > EQ > EX), at least when it relates to FICO 8.

Message 2 of 22
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

I want to ask the same question about TU...Smiley Happy From what I've observed, EX seems more responsive in that they've been quicker to raise my score as I've opened new credit and made payments. They just bumped me 7 points earlier this month apparently because my reported balances went down $26 or so from last month. I'm thinking about testing the theory by letting smaller and smaller balances report each month to see what happens. Hopefully EQ, and especially TU, will catch up.

Current Scores------ EQ 680; TU 658; EX 684 FICO 08--- Gardening 5/25/18 to 5/25/19
Beginning Scores-- EQ 632; TU 576; EX 619 FICO 08 (06/13/16) - BK7 discharged 11/2015

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 22
Super Contributor

I happen to believe that this varies from person to person.  Perception is reality.  If one perceives something, that's the way it is [for them].  It's like that thread from a week ago or so when someone said "why does Experian get pulled the most when applying for credit" and many people replied saying that the other 2 bureaus pulled them more.  I don't think you'd really find much consistency if you polled enough people; it's likely all over the place.

Message 4 of 22
Frequent Contributor

BrutalBodyShots wrote:

I happen to believe that this varies from person to person.  Perception is reality.  If one perceives something, that's the way it is [for them].  It's like that thread from a week ago or so when someone said "why does Experian get pulled the most when applying for credit" and many people replied saying that the other 2 bureaus pulled them more.  I don't think you'd really find much consistency if you polled enough people; it's likely all over the place.

Ha!  I was about to reply that EX is the highest because no one will ever pull them for me.  So yes, it is certainly a YMMV situation for sure!

Sept 15 -- All mid 400s
Jan 16 -- All mid 500s
Current: Knocking on 700s
Message 5 of 22
Super Contributor

I remember a time when i didn't even have an EX score but that's all changed.

EX continues to be my strongest reporting CRA consistently without fail.

Message 6 of 22
Established Contributor

If I were you i would do a side by side comparison. See if anything is different such as the number of hard inquiries, if a lender reported a balance to one bureau but not the the other, check the average account age for each credit bureau that is pulled. And do all your creditors report to all three bureaus?  That is something to thing about.

Message 7 of 22
Established Contributor

Experian is my highest and also the one pulled by the majority of creditors in CA (as I understand).  I do find EX less sensitive to month to month changes in utilization within reason. 

Starting Score:EQ 586 TU 527 EX 532
Current Score: EQ 655 TU 668 EX 669
Goal Score: 760- Last app 9/11/17

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 22
Regular Contributor

Experian is my lowest Smiley Sad Should be getting a score boost soon due to baddie removal.

Walked into the garden 8/10/16
Moonwalking and Twirling My Way to 800 | Current: 07/24/16 EQ 658 TU 678 Exp 636 | Short Term Goal 700s end of 2016 | Long Term 800
Message 9 of 22
Senior Contributor

EX is my middle score. TU is always my highest, and I know why. They place more emphasis on oldest account and, even with a short AAoA, my oldest is over 36 years.

Message 10 of 22