cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why big difference of Equifax Credit Score here and when I applied for a CC

tag
hame152

Why big difference of Equifax Credit Score here and when I applied for a CC

This is my first post here and I am trying to figure out why there is such a big difference in credit score here and what is reported to lenders. I have had some credit issues but I am working on rebuilding. So I applied for a CC which was approved, but when they sent me my paperwork it advised my Credit Score from Equifax is 586 (9-11-2012). But my credit score here from Equifax is report 658(9-12-2012). Does anyone know why such a big difference or should there ever be that big a difference. Thank you for any assistance in understanding.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why big difference of Equifax Credit Score here and when I applied for a CC

Assuming nothing changed your FICO, look at the source of the CC's score. While most use a FICO, some do not. They'll sometimes use an internal score proprietary to them. If the score does mention a FICO, then make sure it also came from Equifax (e.g. make sure they didn't pull EX or TU which would be a different score). Finally, if it is a FICO and from the same CRA, then it's possible they pulled a CC-enhanced FICO which weighs your past CC experience over all other TLs.

Message 2 of 12
hame152

I checked and it is from the same credit reporting agency as I get my score from here. The scores are less then 24 hrs apart.

Message 3 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

That narrows out report changes, so the CC's score would either be their own in-house non-FICO score, an older or newer EQ FICO, or a CC-enhanced FICO. I vote for the latter.

Message 4 of 12
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

More details help determine the type of score. Did they specifiy a range? Did they say it was a FICO score?

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 5 of 12
Spoolingbyu
Established Member

I was wondering the same thing.   I pulled my TU score on here and it was 598.  I applied for a Walmart card and got denied less than 10 minutes after getting a score from here. They report my TU score as 401.  Maybe  it's just me but that seems like an awfully large difference. 

Starting Score: 515EQ/556TU
Current Score: 632EQ/632TU
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure it was TU?    When I applied for a Walmart card they pulled EX.  And there was a considerable difference between my TU and EX.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 12
badgerviper

I have a huge difference too. Nordstrom pulled EQ at 657, I pulled my own EQ from Equifax directly and got 714, and myFICO gives my EQ score as 763. Kinda sucks when I think my EQ score is 763 and I apply for a card that I should get with that score then get DENIED :/

Message 8 of 12
Spoolingbyu
Established Member

Directly from them:

Your Credit Score: 401

Date: 09/22/2012

Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 620.

Key factors that adversely affected your credit score:

HIGH RATIO OF REVOLVING ACCTS OPENED LAST YEAR TO ALL REVOLVING ACCTS    Only one revolving account with a $200 limit of the two accounts I have.  I did notice on my report it showed a high balance of $191.00. Which when ever I use the card I always pay it the same day.  Maybe they reported my balance the same day before the payment was processed and just boned me until next month.

TOO FEW ACCOUNTS CURRENTLY PAID AS AGREED There are only 2 accounts and both are up to date and never missed a payment in the 2 years they have been open.

SINCERELY,

CREDIT MANAGER

GE Capital Retail Bank

Starting Score: 515EQ/556TU
Current Score: 632EQ/632TU
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Spoolingbyu wrote:

Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 620.

It's not a FICO. They use their own internal score to approve/deny folks.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.