Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Experian so much lower?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is Experian so much lower?

I have seen this topic a few times, but it always seems to be from auto dealerships or banks pulling the report. I am using the MyFico app and it is showing 758 for Equifax, 761 for Transunion, and then 718 for Experian. This is frustrating because the bank I am talking to requires a 720 or higher from each agency. Has anyone had any luck trying to get their score reevaluated or at least finding out how they score different items? Maybe the late payment that I had 2 years ago on a creditcard that I thought I had canceled that hadn't been used in a year that was charging an annual fee of $75 that I paid 30 days late is worth dropping my score 40 points with them and not the others? I can't figure it out. ANy knowledge or experience would be useful, thank you.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is Experian so much lower?

Ask them which CB they pull and which FICO model they are using.  They'll tell you.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you applied for a lot of credit cards within the last two years? I've found that ALL of my credit card approvals have been pulled through Experian. This has lowered my EX score relative to my EQ and TU scores due to the number of inquiries I've had. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forums, pal!  Here's a few thoughts:

You are basically wondering why your EX score is a lot lower than EQ or TU.  The most likely explanation is that your three reports are not exactly the same, and that in particular there is something on the EX report that makes its score worse.

One place to look is derogs.  These are things like lates and collections and chargeoffs and so on.  Is it possible that there is a late on one report not on the others?

Are there accounts that are different between the reports?  (An account on one but not the other?  An account that says closed on one but open on the other?  etc.)

The best approach in my opinon is to print out your full 3B report (on paper) and take a red pen, circling anything that looks different.  Then circle back to the folks here with the specifics of what you discover.  The folks over at the rebuilding forum may be especially helpful.

One last thought.  This sentence really made my day:

"Maybe the late payment that I had 2 years ago on a creditcard that I thought I had canceled that hadn't been used in a year that was charging an annual fee of $75 that I paid 30 days late is worth dropping my score 40 points with them and not the others?"

That's a really fun digression in the middle.  It's natural to feel like you need to explain how bad marks appeared on your report, but honest you don't.  We all understand how they can happen.  The key info you need to pass along was that you have a 30-day late from two years ago.  Look carefully at those things (derogs especially) and make sure they are all say the exact same thing on all reports. 

Good luck working with the people here and getting advice.  Do try printing out your 3B report and going throughout it to find differences.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with what was said by CGID above.  I would venture to guess that your EX report contains information (probably a negative) that your EQ and TU reports do not.  Typically most won't see a variance of more than 20-25 points between scores if all information across the bureaus is identical.  Outliers have reported 30-35 points max.  Anything more than that, such as your case, strongly suggests information that is not identical.  The next step would be determining what is different between your EX and TU/EQ reports and then addressing what that difference is.

Message 5 of 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

My EQ is about 50 points lower than my other 2. Once I looked closer I realized 1 card was only reporting to EX and another was reporting to the other 2 but not EQ. No baddies on any reports. Compare the 3 very closely because something is different.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.