cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will adding husband as AU bring down my credit score?

tag
lisax667
New Visitor

Will adding husband as AU bring down my credit score?

Hello - I am new here, but have learned much!

I am trying to up my credit score from a 688.  And trying to establish good credit history for my dh.  I just got a barclaycard with dh as an AU.  Will this help establish some good credit for him (I charge netflix to it each month and pay it off).?  Can it negatively impact my score?  Tried to get a FICO score for dh and they said he had none!

ALso, I have a Discovercard without a blemish, CL 11,000and had it for 17 years.  If I add him to that will it do good things?  Or can it lower my score.  Thank you!

FICO 688

husband has no credit/bad credit

hoping to get mortgage in next 1-2 years.......
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Will adding husband as AU bring down my credit score?

Welcome to the forum. Adding your DH to your older Discover CC would do more for him than the Barclay cc. Assuming you keep your util down it will help his CS and not hurt yours.

It usually takes 6 mos to establish a CS. So, the Discover cc would also help him

Edit: typo
Message 2 of 10
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

+1

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 3 of 10
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Adding your husband will not 'link' your credit scores. All it will do is make the card show up on his credit report. This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on if there were any late payments on the CC's history. If it has a good limit and has been paid on time then it will help his score. Your credit will be completely unchanged.

Message 4 of 10
roastbeans
New Contributor

Adding someone to your credit card absolutely does not effect  you or that someone.Thats why they dont even ask that 'someone''s info,but first and last name to put on the card.You'r just allowing someone to use your card is all

Message 5 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It will actually ( in most cases ) show on their CR when you add them. Creditors can use name/address , they don't have to use a SSN to put it on their report.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 10
lisax667
New Visitor

Thanks everyone.  I'd love to hear more people chime in because there seems to be a disagreement as to whether or not it will improve dhs credit.  I believe dave ramsey says it will not.  but seemingly it does?

FICO 688

husband has no credit/bad credit

hoping to get mortgage in next 1-2 years.......
Message 7 of 10
roastbeans
New Contributor

I am telling you from my personal experiences.I have two credit cards with my mother as AU and her name do not show on my credit report Only my name and the total bill.I even called the company to inquire about that prior to authorizing her( I was worried since she sometimes go crazy shopping) and I was assured that just simply having her as AU do not affect me in anyway unless she uses the cards and I wont be able to pay.When you authorize someone to use your card it just simply means you r responsible for his spending is all.Only reason the credit card company let you have someone as AU is because they want you spend more.

Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@lisax667 wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I'd love to hear more people chime in because there seems to be a disagreement as to whether or not it will improve dhs credit.  I believe dave ramsey says it will not.  but seemingly it does?

If the card is reported to the CRAs and the card is older than his AAoA and blemish free, yes it will help his score.  It will in no way impact your score.

Some lenders/creditors will not take AU accounts when looking a scores.  They want to use his real score.

Message 9 of 10
doc101
Regular Contributor

It will help him actually. I am an AU on 2 cards belonging to my mother and it has helped me tremendously. The only downside is that the cards are only repdorting to EX and thats it........really need to check in to that

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.