Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will getting another CC increase score

tag
2IMPROVE
Regular Contributor

Will getting another CC increase score

Okay will getting another card help me??

TU 657, EX 645, EQ 683

All cards have no balance except JC Penney's has $19.00, I actually charged on it and received a fico alert that my score increased by 7pts.

JC Penney $150   since 7/07                         
HSBC Visa $300 since 6/07
HSBC Visa $750  since 6/07
BofA Plantinum Visa $2500  since 2/07
Bof A Worldpoints Visa $2000 since 9/07
Target $200.00

Current past yrs on mortgage and car note.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will getting another CC increase score

I have not seen a score increase with more than 6 credit cards. You need to know your average age of all your accounts. If less than 1 year, a 7th could help prevent score drops due to a thicker average age later about 5-10 years from now. If more than 1 year in average age it probably would just lower your score. But in the next few years it probably won't help much at all and probably just lower your score for the next 12 months. However.... If you got all 6 cards in the past 6 months, I would get the 7th and keep it for every so in 10 years you have another account 10 years old to add in to the average.

Either way a 7th credit card will not boost your credit score right now unless you are using the new credit card to increase over all credit lines to lower UTL ratios debt to total credit for when you spend more money. I believe anything over 6 cards only effects average age of accounts not scores. 6 cards is a very good number to have.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I just saw the mortgage and car loan. Those sound like they are older than 1 year. I would stay where you are with 6 cards. New credit card accounts will lower your average age and not gain points. I only recommend for people to apply for more cards if the benefit of a larger credit line out weigh the loss of average age and a new account with inq.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I highly doubt adding any more cards will increase it right now. The only thing that will really increase it at this point is time. After the cards have been open for 6 months you should see and increase then an even bigger increase at 1 year and then at 2 years probably another increase. This is assuming you keep a low utilization...
Message 4 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

You might want to combine those HSBC limits if you can. With the small limits you pretty much lock yourself into lower approval limits. I would wait on new applications.
Message 5 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

2IMPROVE wrote:
Okay will getting another card help me??

TU 657, EX 645, EQ 683

All cards have no balance except JC Penney's has $19.00, I actually charged on it and received a fico alert that my score increased by 7pts.

JC Penney $150   since 7/07                         
HSBC Visa $300 since 6/07
HSBC Visa $750  since 6/07
BofA Plantinum Visa $2500  since 2/07
Bof A Worldpoints Visa $2000 since 9/07
Target $200.00

Current past yrs on mortgage and car note.

You have some nice cards. Will it help your scores to get one more, I say no because you will have a new account and your credit file will re-age and probably lower your scores. Is there a particular need for another card, are you looking for some perks that interest you.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
You might want to combine those HSBC limits if you can. With the small limits you pretty much lock yourself into lower approval limits. I would wait on new applications.

HSBC isn't very nice about this. Are those "real" HSBC cards or Household or Orchard cards? HSBC will allow you to combine cards, but they do not guarantee that you will get the entire CL. So if you were to try and combine the 300 CL into the 750 CL you could wind up with only a 750 CL.
Message 7 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

HSBC isn't very nice about this. Are those "real" HSBC cards or Household or Orchard cards? HSBC will allow you to combine cards, but they do not guarantee that you will get the entire CL. So if you were to try and combine the 300 CL into the 750 CL you could wind up with only a 750 CL.

Tell you what. I'd close 'em and get some other lines like Citi or Chase.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

Tell you what. I'd close 'em and get some other lines like Citi or Chase.

I think I'd do the same Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Those small CL cards can easily bite you on the butt in any given month.  &util is calculated, not only overall, but for each CC.  It is easy, if you use a $150 or $300 CL card, to put them over 50% at any time.  With your decent higher CL cards, I would put the low CL cards in the sock drawer, or PIF each month just to keep active.  Those cards are to establish credit, not to improve it.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-16-2007 08:08 PM
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.