Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

effect of late payments

tag
MarieSmiles4
Valued Member

effect of late payments

I am still learning, and love this website!  So, am currently in the process of trying the whole goodwill thing with some of my credit card companies.  If they indeed goodwill any of these late pays (all about 1.5 years old)  will I see an increase in my score?   Does anyone know aprox. how much having just a single 30 day late pay will effect the score?  Keep in mind I have about 5 accounts with 30-120 day lates due to a divorce/hardship.   And any luck having 90 days removed by goodwill letters/calls?? Or is that totally out of the quesion?

Starting Score: 568
Current Score: EQ624, TU630 TU04 606, EX640
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: effect of late payments

A single 30 day late will impact your score when it is missed but you recover fairly quickly from it.  It will impact your score for around 2 years but fades with time.  The same for a 60 day late.  Both 30 and 60 are considered minor derogatories.

A 90+ late is a major derogatory and will have a much worse impact on your score and though they fade over time, will impact your score for nearly 7 years.

Message 2 of 3
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

Re: effect of late payments

I'd work on the 90-120 be honest explain your situation never hurts to each month send same letter you never know.

Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.