Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my score just hit a new bk low....

tag
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

my score just hit a new bk low....

im seriously score-heart broken at the moment.  im 1.5yrs into a very good rebuild.   went from 600 to low 700's and aquired some decent cards and credit limits.

last month i was sitting at 700's across the board.   713 experian. 

february i bought a new truck,  financed via capital one.  just a few days later i refi through penfed. saved a fortune.  anywho....

penfed just hit my reports and it dropped 13 points.  im told that is considered normal and will recover after a few months of payments.

instead of reporting my loan paid off, capital one reported today the full amount.  fico now thinks i have 2 auto loans totaling over 75k. 

my experian went from 713 last month to 697 yesterday to 635 today.  when i check to see what changed,  its the double auto loan reporting.

now,  do i wait on cap1 to correct the balance or do i dispute the balance and force a correction?   should i fear credit line reductions over this temporary drop?   ive worked so hard getting my credit lines over 6k and building my scores.  this is a gut punch i sure didnt need or expect.   is such a wild drop like that anywhere near normal?

any suggestions are appreciated....

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
5 REPLIES 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: my score just hit a new bk low....

To start with call Cap One and make sure the amount is properly processed and credited. They will tell you what is the best approach to take. I would not worry too much about CLD and AA. What other cards do you have?

Message 2 of 6
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

To start with call Cap One and make sure the amount is properly processed and credited. They will tell you what is the best approach to take. I would not worry too much about CLD and AA. What other cards do you have?

i did call cap1. the lady told me it could take up to 90 days to report the correct balance.

i have truist,  penfed rewards visa, fnbo ford pass visa, venture one, walmart mastercard, kohls.   all at 5k+ except kohls, its capped at 3k.   card utilization is at 3%  & i do azeo. penfed being the reporting card. 

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 3 of 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

is such a wild drop like that anywhere near normal?

A part of that drop is possibly due to age... you added another account with the re-fi so may have lost a few extra points due to a lowered AAoA -- unfortunately, that portion of lost points will take some time to come back.    The rest of the points is likely from increased aggregate loan utilization which will correct itself once Cap One updates the correct balance.   Don't dispute it...just try to be patient.  If CapOne has already credited your account internally with the payoff, it probably won't take the full 90 days to show up on your reports... "90-days" is pretty much the go-to timeframe given consumers by lenders when it comes to anything having to do with credit reporting. 

I wouldn't worry too much about your existing lenders either -- the drop wasn't due to a anything negative popping up and your scores will begin to recover.  Just lie low for a few months - no new apps for the time being.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, if the new PenFed auto loan only affected your account by 13 points when it reported the balance, I'm struggling to see how a second auto loan from CapOne, of the same type of borrowing, would result in an additional ~65 point penalty. Typically FICO has the largest impact from the first of a Thing, then as more of that exact same Thing appears, the impact is less, not more.

It's good to follow up with CapOne to see that they are processing / have all the info from the payoff of their loan. I'd hope that it clears up ( goes to zero balance ) on the next statement a month from now.

Are you certain nothing else was reported from another account, something refreshed from the BK? 

Are both the loans reporting as the same type of credit product?

Keep us posted, as we are all interested in seeing your score bounce back.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

im seriously score-heart broken at the moment.  im 1.5yrs into a very good rebuild.   went from 600 to low 700's and aquired some decent cards and credit limits.

last month i was sitting at 700's across the board.   713 experian. 

february i bought a new truck,  financed via capital one.  just a few days later i refi through penfed. saved a fortune.  anywho....

penfed just hit my reports and it dropped 13 points.  im told that is considered normal and will recover after a few months of payments.

instead of reporting my loan paid off, capital one reported today the full amount.  fico now thinks i have 2 auto loans totaling over 75k. 

my experian went from 713 last month to 697 yesterday to 635 today.  when i check to see what changed,  its the double auto loan reporting.

now,  do i wait on cap1 to correct the balance or do i dispute the balance and force a correction?   should i fear credit line reductions over this temporary drop?   ive worked so hard getting my credit lines over 6k and building my scores.  this is a gut punch i sure didnt need or expect.   is such a wild drop like that anywhere near normal?

any suggestions are appreciated....

Just wait it out, it will correct itself within about a month.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.