Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new auto loan suggestions needed

tag
hairluver
Established Member

new auto loan suggestions needed

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for days and couldn't find an answer for my particular question.

My car was totaled and insurance paid it all off except for $50.   

All I currently have is cc's and this will be my 2nd auto installment loan that will show pif.

However because I don't want to lose the points for credit mix. Should I leave that $50 there since it isn't due till Dec. So that I will have the points, or will it look bad having 2 auto loans even though the balance on one is only $50?

For reference depending on which cb aaoa is 8-10 years. No dergoatories of any kind. My cc utilization is high but I'm paying most of that off with the equity check from insurance. 

I have 7 cc's. 5 with balances of which I will only have a balance on 2 when I go car shopping.   Scores right now range from 603 to 676 but historically i range about 756 across the board which I'm guessing will be within range as soon as I pay these balances off/down.

Sorry to be long winded.  Thanks for any insight.

10 REPLIES 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: new auto loan suggestions needed

@hairluver wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for days and couldn't find an answer for my particular question.

All I currently have is cc's and this will be my 2nd auto installment loan that will show pif.

However because I don't want to lose the points for credit mix. Should I leave that $50 there since it isn't due till Dec. So that I will have the points, or will it look bad having 2 auto loans even though the balance on one is only $50?

For reference depending on which cb aaoa is 8-10 years. No dergoatories of any kind. My cc utilization is high but I'm paying most of that off with the equity check from insurance. 

I have 7 cc's. 5 with balances of which I will only have a balance on 2 when I go car shopping.   Scores right now range from 603 to 676 but historically i range about 756 across the board which I'm guessing will be within range as soon as I pay these balances off/down.

If it was your only installement loan. Sure. But you have another auto installment loan. So paying it off wont do too much. Your still in the credit mix. Pay down the util on your cards and that will do more than closing 1 of 2 loans. Higher scores lower interest. Try to have only one CC reporting a low util to try and get past 700 for better rates. Good Luck! Sorry about the car. least everyone is ok.

Message 2 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@hairluver wrote:

Hi everyone,

Paying it off won't affect your credit mix, but it could affect your aggregate installment loan utilization percentage.  If your aggregate is presently 9% or less, then you will lose points in FICO by paying it off, so -- from a pure credit score perspective -- you should wait until you have to make the payment. But I'm of the school that it's more important to get the paperwork done and get your clean title.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 11
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

Credit mix and closing a loan seems to be really misunderstood. You don't lose credit mix when you close a loan even if it is your only installment loan. Closed installment loans that remain on your reports satisfy credit mix as well. The common score loss associated with paying off an installment loan is due to losing points for low installment utilization...not credit mix. So, if your current loan reporting a $50 balance is keeping your aggregate installment utilization below a scoring threshold, you may lose some points by paying it off. It will not be bc of losing credit mix though.

Team Garden Club as of Oct 2021
Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I believe it is possible that you may lose a few FICO points if your only open installment loan is paid off, open credit mix and closed credit mix may be two seperate scoring factors.

At present I have no open installment loans, my most recent auto loan was paid / closed in July 2020 and since then my top scoring reason from FICO 9 each month has been "Lack of recent installment loan information".

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 11
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I believe it is possible that you may lose a few FICO points if your only open installment loan is paid off, open credit mix and closed credit mix may be two seperate scoring factors.

At present I have no open installment loans, my most recent auto loan was paid / closed in July 2020 and since then my top scoring reason from FICO 9 each month has been "Lack of recent installment loan information".

This is really interesting. Do you get the same reason code on FICO 8?

Message 6 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@SoonerSoldier33 wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

This is really interesting. Do you get the same reason code on FICO 8?

Yes, for me both FICO 8 and 9 show the "Lack of recent installment loan information" factor.   I'm pulling FICO 8 from Barclays and FICO 9 from NFCU, I'm fairly certain these are the versions they're using.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SoonerSoldier33 wrote:

Credit mix and closing a loan seems to be really misunderstood. You don't lose credit mix when you close a loan even if it is your only installment loan. Closed installment loans that remain on your reports satisfy credit mix as well. The common score loss associated with paying off an installment loan is due to losing points for low installment utilization...not credit mix. So, if your current loan reporting a $50 balance is keeping your aggregate installment utilization below a scoring threshold, you may lose some points by paying it off. It will not be bc of losing credit mix though.

Creditors like to see that you’re able to manage various types of debt. If eliminating a particular debt makes your credit report less diverse, it can negatively affect your score. For example, if you pay off an auto loan and are left with only credit cards, your credit mix suffers.

Message 8 of 11
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@SoonerSoldier33 wrote:

Creditors like to see that you’re able to manage various types of debt. If eliminating a particular debt makes your credit report less diverse, it can negatively affect your score. For example, if you pay off an auto loan and are left with only credit cards, your credit mix suffers.

I'm 100% certain that closed loans count towards credit mix. It's interesting to see that, although they do count, it's entirely possible that they may not count 'as much' as open installment accounts. How we're ever going to break that down is a bit of a conundrum. Lol. 

Link to 1 source, and I've seen many others as well:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Do-closed-accounts-help-credit-mix-at-al...

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@SoonerSoldier33 wrote:

@SoonerSoldier33 is correct. Closed installment accounts and closed revolving accounts both count toward credit mix. You can satisfy credit mix and not have open accounts.

The point loss you see when paying off your last open installment loan is from a change in amount of debt, not a change in credit mix. It is essentially the same as having all revolving accounts report zero balance, you incur an all zero penalty. If all installment loans are paid off you have 0% installment utilization and thus incur an all zero installment penalty.  The loss in points is from Amount of Debt, not Credit Mix. It has been proven multiple times that closed accounts satisfy the Credit Mix portion of FICO scoring, a quick search will reveal several threads dedicated to it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.