Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about high credit lines excluded from FICO8 scoring

tag
tacpoly
Established Contributor

question about high credit lines excluded from FICO8 scoring

Once in a while I see a comment about credit limits above $35,000 is excluded from FICO scoring.  Could someone explain the working hypothesis on this?  Do balances on cards with high credit lines not count? 

I have one authorized user card with a lower limit <$35,000 and one charge card.  My other 3 credit cards have limits well over $35,000.  My FICO8 scores are 850 for all 3 CRAs.  My scores fell when 0 cards reported with balance.  They also fall when >1 card report a balance.  Some CRAs seem to ding me when my AU account has a high individual utilization, but I have no control over that account so can't really pin it down.  In case it's relevant, I have a line of credit with no balance, an installment account, and I also have several closed accounts with no balances on my report -- several of those with >35K limits.

Message 1 of 79
78 REPLIES 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: question about high credit lines excluded from FICO8 scoring

The gist of it would be the dollar amounts and % used on huge tradelines won't contribute to your utilization factor of scoring as regular smaller revolving lines of credit usually would

Though it seems dependent on which FICO version and the limit amount. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/50k-limits-not-part-of-utilization/td-p/... 

Message 2 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tacpoly wrote:

Once in a while I see a comment about credit limits above $35,000 is excluded from FICO scoring.

I'm not sure anyone knows the exact numbers, but I think the $35k thing is for some of the older models.  The newer ones (say Fico8+) I have heard the cutoff limit estimated to be north of $60k.  If I use a card with a $59,900 limit for example as my AZEO card, it "works" just fine on Fico 8.  I do not have easy access to older model scores though, so I haven't seen what impact that event has on those scores.

Message 3 of 79
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@tacpoly wrote:

Once in a while I see a comment about credit limits above $35,000 is excluded from FICO scoring.  Could someone explain the working hypothesis on this?  Do balances on cards with high credit lines not count? 

I have one authorized user card with a lower limit <$35,000 and one charge card.  My other 3 credit cards have limits well over $35,000.  My FICO8 scores are 850 for all 3 CRAs.  My scores fell when 0 cards reported with balance.  They also fall when >1 card report a balance.  Some CRAs seem to ding me when my AU account has a high individual utilization, but I have no control over that account so can't really pin it down.  In case it's relevant, I have a line of credit with no balance, an installment account, and I also have several closed accounts with no balances on my report -- several of those with >35K limits.

There is a theory that some of the older scoring models do not count cards with > 35k credit limits for utilization purposes.

I do not know if the theory holds water.

I have never seen any difference between the way my > 35k accounts are treated and my < 35k accounts are treated.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 79
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

Once in a while I see a comment about credit limits above $35,000 is excluded from FICO scoring.

I'm not sure anyone knows the exact numbers, but I think the $35k thing is for some of the older models.  The newer ones (say Fico8+) I have heard the cutoff limit estimated to be north of $60k.  If I use a card with a $59,900 limit for example as my AZEO card, it "works" just fine on Fico 8.  I do not have easy access to older model scores though, so I haven't seen what impact that event has on those scores.

Of non-AU cards one is 45k. The other 2 are 75k and higher. I'll have to look more carefully but they all seem to be "visible" on FICO8 with regards to cards with balances.

Message 5 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tacpoly wrote:

Of non-AU cards one is 45k. The other 2 are 75k and higher. I'll have to look more carefully but they all seem to be "visible" on FICO8 with regards to cards with balances.

When you say one and other two, are you referring to bureaus?  I ask because as I stated earlier I did not see an AZ penalty when doing AZEO on a $59,900 card on any 3B Fico 8 score.  But, that's only Fico 8.  I have no idea if my other scores were adversely impacted at all.

Message 6 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tacpoly EX2 excludes revolvers with a credit limits over somewhere between 26 and $29,000 and higher. TU4 and EQ5 exclude revolvers with credit limits over $35,000. My understanding is the exclusion is from utilization and that it's just on the mortgage models.

I don't know of any being excluded on version eight or higher.

Message 7 of 79
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tacpoly EX2 excludes revolvers with a credit limits over somewhere between 26 and $29,000 and higher. TU4 and EQ5 exclude revolvers with credit limits over $35,000. My understanding is the exclusion is from utilization and that it's just on the mortgage models.

@Anonymous  interesting. Does this mean that when my mortgage scores are calculated, it doesn't see any of my cards?

@Anonymous  I meant CC'es. 

Message 8 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tacpoly wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous  interesting. Does this mean that when my mortgage scores are calculated, it doesn't see any of my cards?

@tacpoly theoretically the only potential utilization TU4 & EQ5 should still see is on your authorized user card. utilization on the other cards should be hidden.

Is the credit limit low enough for EX2 to see it as well?

remember the mortgage scores don't differentiate between primary and authorized user accounts, so it sees the authorized user account as if it were yours and should be your AZEO card, so you don't get an AZ loss. That AU card is perfect!

Message 9 of 79
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tacpoly theoretically the only potential utilization TU4 & EQ5 should still see is on your authorized user card. utilization on the other cards should be hidden.

Is the credit limit low enough for EX2 to see it as well?

remember the mortgage scores don't differentiate between primary and authorized user accounts, so it sees the authorized user account as if it were yours and should be your AZEO card, so you don't get an AZ loss. That AU card is perfect!

@Anonymous  This is probably why my mortgage scores are lower (817, 812, 840).  The AU card has a 28K limit.  DH never asks for CLIs, but I better tell him to decline auto increases as well Smiley LOL  

Message 10 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.