cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score drop for a validation?

tag
mtpd

score drop for a validation?

I wanted to validate the status of an account. The results of the validation didn't change the status of the account, but my score dropped. Why did that happen?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: score drop for a validation?

Message 2 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

You sent a DV or filed a dispute with the CRAs?

Majority of the time validating the accuracy is considered a Dispute automatically.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 10
mtpd

DV
Message 4 of 10
mtpd

Disputes are bad?
Message 5 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Disputing an account removes them from being figured into your scoring. Once the dispute is removed it can either lower or raise your scores depending on many variables.

What was the reason to DV?

Good Luck
Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Majority of the time validating the accuracy is considered a Dispute automatically.

2 different things.  That' why I asked.  A GW is also looked at as a dispute by some but it is not.

Disputing with the CRAs can be bad, yes.  In many instances, certain aspects of the TL are taken out of scoring and can drop your score.  A collection should never be considered in scoring and should not impact your score if you did dispute.

Message 7 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@JM-AM wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

2 different things.  That' why I asked.  A GW is also looked at as a dispute by some but it is not.

Disputing with the CRAs can be bad, yes.  In many instances, certain aspects of the TL are taken out of scoring and can drop your score.  A collection should never be considered in scoring and should not impact your score if you did dispute.

A Collection is a MAJOR derog and it most certainly is considered in your scoring.

Its just like the saying paying off a collection doesnt impact your scores. Generally this statement is true, but you could have scoring effects from paying off a Collection debt.

Paying off the debt can update the account... which in turn can have scoring implications

Some have reported paying off Collections and their UTIL lowered... which in turn can have scoring implications

The obvious is always true that YMMV in anything, especially Credit determination on the impacts.

Good Luck
Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@JM-AM wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

A Collection is a MAJOR derog and it most certainly is considered in your scoring.

Its just like the saying paying off a collection doesnt impact your scores. Generally this statement is true, but you could have scoring effects from paying off a Collection debt.

Paying off the debt can update the account... which in turn can have scoring implications

Some have reported paying off Collections and their UTIL lowered... which in turn can have scoring implications

The obvious is always true that YMMV in anything, especially Credit determination on the impacts.

You should re-read what I posted.  The subject was disputing with the CRAs.  Collection accounts are NOT taken out of scoring when they are disputed, thereby having no impact on your score.

I am well aware that a collection is a major degrogatory.

If a collection account is coded as it should be coded, it would not have any impact on your score one way or the other if it was paid.  And I am talking about 3rd party collections and not in house collections from the OC.

A 3rd party collection account is not supposed to be considered in your utilization.

All of these conditions hinge on how a CA codes their data.

Message 9 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

I agree, sorry I misinterpreted...

Its all about the wording and how its coded...

Thank you for putting it in better terms...

Good Luck
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.