Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching with common words

tag
creditwatcher
Established Member

Searching with common words

Did a quick search on non-mortgage credit (silly new bucket on my report Smiley Happy ) and it came back with a plethora of posts because it took the word "non" out of my search.

"non" is a very common word and was not included in your search

Changed the quick search to have quotes "non-mortgage credit" and it still took the "non" out.  Used the advanced search to search for the phrase and again it took the "non" out.  I could understand if it didn't use common words in the quick search (processing time, understandable), but if I'm looking for a phrase shouldn't it use the phrase that I entered Smiley Tongue  Not a big deal, but just thought I would bring it up.

Thanks, Amanda

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Searching with common words

The search function appears to behave similarly to google. It does not recognize your phrase, therefore nothing comes up.

non-mortgage encompasses a mighty big area, and is pretty ambiguous.

I'd suggest you search for something specific.
Message 2 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This sounds like a Barry question!

I know what you mean--there are some terms that we need to be able to use, and it's pretty exasperating to have them tossed.

He checks out this forum pretty frequently...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 7
creditwatcher
Established Member

My goal was to find out if other people inquired about the same bucket that showed up on my recent report.  "non-mortgage credit" was about the only phrase that was available in the bucket title.  Hey I didn't come up with the term, myFico did Smiley Tongue  It was just a suggestion.  After glancing at/reading ~200 posts I found my answer!
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Wow--200 posts! --hope they throw in some free bifocals!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:
This sounds like a Barry question!

I know what you mean--there are some terms that we need to be able to use, and it's pretty exasperating to have them tossed.

He checks out this forum pretty frequently...

The search function is able to search on multiple word phrases -- up to 3 words, I believe.  But it's going to be tough when the words are as common to these forums as "non" and "mortgage".

It sounds like what you're really suggesting here, HTSU, is more of a glossary of common terms, which we could start having the community contribute to.   And although I don't have the time to create one, I'd be happy to review for accuracy.  What do you think?

Barry
Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sure, I'd be glad to help; it would force me to come up with short answers! Smiley Very Happy

But I think OP was speaking more of not being able to search for specific phrases that happen to use common words. I too would have thought that putting quotes around non-mortgage would have resulting in a search for that exact phrase, as happens on Google.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.