Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to activate TU

tag
soxcited
New Contributor

How to activate TU

Hi I see that some members get alerts for both TU and EQ scores. I am trying to activate TU in addition to EQ SW that i originally subscribed for. My main page consists of 3 sections, latest FICO scores, purchases, FICO scores. In the purchases section I can see the EQ SW. In the latest FICO scores section, it says that I dont have any recent scores from TU buy todays score. When I click on the buy it takes me to another purchase page asking $15.95.What it looks like it is only a one time fee, not a subscription like the EQ SW. Then on another page i just read that Score Watch is not available for TU. Could anyone let me know how to get alerts for both scores? Thanks.

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to activate TU

Unfortunately myFICO doesn't offer a service for TU like it does with EQ via ScoreWatch. The only service available for TU only is FICO® Quarterly Monitoring. I don't use the service, but my DW does and she gets a new TU FICO report every 3 months. Score alerts are not a part of that service. In fact, there is no service anywhere that offers FICO score alerts for TU.  Speaking for myself, I fork out the money for a FICO® Standard report for TU only. The base price is $15.95 but if you google "myFICO discount code", you can get it for less. Also if you have Quarterly Monitoring, you also get a 20% discount I believe for TU.

Message 2 of 13
soxcited
New Contributor

Thank you llecs.

I was referring to this post (first post of OP). I thought there was a service for TU reporting the score every 3-4 days like it is shown in the post. 

Message 3 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@soxcited wrote:

Thank you llecs.

I was referring to this post (first post of OP). I thought there was a service for TU reporting the score every 3-4 days like it is shown in the post. 

Judging by the lack of availability of pulling a new TU score, OP purchased a new report for TU via FICO® Standard on a frequent basis. Early in my quest for better credit, I pulled a new report from TU and EQ (and EX when we could at that time) every 3-4 days for DW and I at $15.95 each, before I even knew of any discounts. I easily spent $300+ my first month in new FICO reports. Crazy?  Maybe...but it was worth it looking back on it. Got a lot of benefit by doing that, but my goal was to learn the intricacies of FICO scoring not just to hit a score goal.

Message 4 of 13
soxcited
New Contributor

I am guessing if you pull new reports every 3-4 days they show as soft inquires and dont effect the score. I was under the impression that the score is not effected only when

the reports are pulled from annualcreditreport.

I am also curious if you pull your reports every 3-4 days does not that alarm CAs to come after you? isnt it like a mortgage appllication, when they find out that you are trying to get a house or fix credit, they see it as an opportunity to get money. 

Message 5 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Right, pulling your own report will never add a hard inquiry and will never hurt your score. I use a CMS and pull (well, until recently pulled) all 3 reports daily. I've been doing that for over 2 years and never had any issues.

Pulling your own credit likely won't alert any CAs. It's my understanding they can only see hard inquiries. And yes, take a stroll within Mortgage Loans board and on any given week, you'll see last-minute appearances by CAs after applying for a mortgage loan. That's why opting out with the CRAs is critical prior to mortgage time. The CRAs advertise and do sell your info to other lenders or to CAs as you pointed out. The logic is that if you are applying for a loan, then, therefore, you have money for a down payment and CAs know that you'll likely have to pay off old debts if you are to be approved. Opting out prevents the CRA from selling your info to a CA and you won't have any last minute surprises.

Message 6 of 13
soxcited
New Contributor

Thanks llecs. off topic but how do you confirm opting out? i submitted the form on optoutprescreen (did not want to include ssn as i have a unique name). i did not receive any confirmation or anything. it has been 2 weeks.

Message 7 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@soxcited wrote:

Thanks llecs. off topic but how do you confirm opting out? i submitted the form on optoutprescreen (did not want to include ssn as i have a unique name). i did not receive any confirmation or anything. it has been 2 weeks.

I don't recall seeing anything either, but you'll know if your opted out if you pull your CRs directly from the CRAs.

On the second or so to the last page of your TU report, after the inquiries, as pulled directly from TU or annualcreditreport.com, you'll see a section called "Special Messages" with a comment of "Promotional Opt-Out: This file has been opted out of promotional lists supplied by TransUnion" with an expiration date (5 yrs out I think).

Within EQ at the last page or near it, there's a section showing personal information, employment info, etc. Below that there is a section that says "Alerts". Mine says "File blocked for promotional purposes" and says that twice.

Finally I checked EX for DW and myself and I don't see any mention. Optoutprescreen site sent info to all 3. I assume it's on EX.

Message 8 of 13
soxcited
New Contributor

Thanks for the great info i did not know how to confirm if i am opted out or not. 

I was reading your CMS post and i notice you have removed your suggestions. 

What do you personally use to get EX reports? Right now I have CCT and SW.

I was planning on getting TU from myFICO as well but i guess if i do this i wont be able to see the special sections you mentioned.

Message 9 of 13
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@soxcited wrote:

Thanks for the great info i did not know how to confirm if i am opted out or not. 

I was reading your CMS post and i notice you have removed your suggestions. 

What do you personally use to get EX reports? Right now I have CCT and SW.

I was planning on getting TU from myFICO as well but i guess if i do this i wont be able to see the special sections you mentioned.

Just my 2 cents on EX. I get mine 3x a year...once with the free annual and then every 6 mos through Quizzle. They are free.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.