Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,889
Registered: ‎05-24-2011
0

9 year old got preapproval

for Discover More.  DH just opted back in (and I did) about 3 weeks ago.  But the preapproval is on our son's name.

 

Thoughts?  Should DH use that preapproval number and see what happens?  He has a 2005 BK, is that a deal killer?  His scores are very high 600's, maybe touching a 7.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎01-09-2012
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval

How did you opt back in?

In my wallet: AMEX Gold; Freedom $1.5k; CSP $5k; Chase United $5k; Discover $2k
Last HP: 4/30
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,889
Registered: ‎05-24-2011
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval

[ Edited ]

Opted back in by going to the opt in/opt out website and opted in.  Just google "opt in".

 

But what about the BK?  And how did they get my son's name???  DH and son do not share any name except last.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,322
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval

AFAIK, pre-approvals aren't really that. The fact that your 9 yo son got one kind of proves that point. God only knows *how* they got his name. Does he have a CR? That's odd.

 

I'm pretty sure Discover is going to go off of your husband's CR and FICO and not the "pre-approval" in your son's name. Discover is pretty stringent on approvals. Wish I could say the pre-app would help, but I doubt it.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 270
Registered: ‎10-04-2009
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval

Are you sure it's a preapproval and not an invitation to apply? Many banks, including Discover, make them look almost exactly the same. One implies credit criteria was checked, the other merely means you were on some mailing list they purchased. Does it have the opt-out prescreen disclosure?
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 259
Registered: ‎04-16-2012
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval

You should prob check and see if someone somehow stole your sons identity. That seems a little bit odd that he is 9 and got a pre-approval from discover. Wouldn't this mean discover somehow thinks he is over 18? 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 448
Registered: ‎04-26-2012
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval


bichonmom wrote:

AFAIK, pre-approvals aren't really that. The fact that your 9 yo son got one kind of proves that point. God only knows *how* they got his name. Does he have a CR? That's odd.

 

I'm pretty sure Discover is going to go off of your husband's CR and FICO and not the "pre-approval" in your son's name. Discover is pretty stringent on approvals. Wish I could say the pre-app would help, but I doubt it.

 

 


Ehh, who knows how they get names. I distinctly remember reading a newspaper report of a dog getting sent a credit approval.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (18k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (14k), Discover More (10k)
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,322
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval


Mailak wrote:

bichonmom wrote:

AFAIK, pre-approvals aren't really that. The fact that your 9 yo son got one kind of proves that point. God only knows *how* they got his name. Does he have a CR? That's odd.

 

I'm pretty sure Discover is going to go off of your husband's CR and FICO and not the "pre-approval" in your son's name. Discover is pretty stringent on approvals. Wish I could say the pre-app would help, but I doubt it.

 

 


Ehh, who knows how they get names. I distinctly remember reading a newspaper report of a dog getting sent a credit approval.


Too bad it wasn't one of mine! Smiley Very Happy Woof Woof!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,889
Registered: ‎05-24-2011
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval


bostonte wrote:
Are you sure it's a preapproval and not an invitation to apply? Many banks, including Discover, make them look almost exactly the same. One implies credit criteria was checked, the other merely means you were on some mailing list they purchased. Does it have the opt-out prescreen disclosure?

No, it doesn't have this  (I know what you are talking about).  But it is curious since none of us has gotten a preapproval from a cc company since we opted out over a year ago.  So it's just weird.  If their website wasn't broken I'd apply and just find out, (Well, DH would apply).

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Established Contributor
Posts: 913
Registered: ‎06-09-2011
0

Re: 9 year old got preapproval

I had my sister-in-law as an AU on a card for a while (no longer using the card, so I cancelled the AU's off of it). She still keeps getting pre-approvals from Citi etc, and she's 15. Not as bad as a 9 year old, but still.

At least in her case, she *does* have a credit score, I guess - since she was an AU for a while.

EQ 679 FICO (02/24/2012)
TU 721 FICO (03/10/2012)
EX 703 FICO (05/05/2012)

Cards: NFCU cashRewards $14k, NFCU Platinum $14k, USAA Amex $7k, Amazon Visa $3k, Chase Freedom $2.5k, Amex Zync NPSL, Discover More $1k, Amazon Store $1.3k, Walmart Store $700
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.