Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 year old got preapproval

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

9 year old got preapproval

for Discover More.  DH just opted back in (and I did) about 3 weeks ago.  But the preapproval is on our son's name.

Thoughts?  Should DH use that preapproval number and see what happens?  He has a 2005 BK, is that a deal killer?  His scores are very high 600's, maybe touching a 7.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: 9 year old got preapproval

How did you opt back in?
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 22
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Opted back in by going to the opt in/opt out website and opted in.  Just google "opt in".

But what about the BK?  And how did they get my son's name???  DH and son do not share any name except last.

Message 3 of 22
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

AFAIK, pre-approvals aren't really that. The fact that your 9 yo son got one kind of proves that point. God only knows *how* they got his name. Does he have a CR? That's odd.

I'm pretty sure Discover is going to go off of your husband's CR and FICO and not the "pre-approval" in your son's name. Discover is pretty stringent on approvals. Wish I could say the pre-app would help, but I doubt it.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 22
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Are you sure it's a preapproval and not an invitation to apply? Many banks, including Discover, make them look almost exactly the same. One implies credit criteria was checked, the other merely means you were on some mailing list they purchased. Does it have the opt-out prescreen disclosure?
Message 5 of 22
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

You should prob check and see if someone somehow stole your sons identity. That seems a little bit odd that he is 9 and got a pre-approval from discover. Wouldn't this mean discover somehow thinks he is over 18? 

Message 6 of 22
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

AFAIK, pre-approvals aren't really that. The fact that your 9 yo son got one kind of proves that point. God only knows *how* they got his name. Does he have a CR? That's odd.

I'm pretty sure Discover is going to go off of your husband's CR and FICO and not the "pre-approval" in your son's name. Discover is pretty stringent on approvals. Wish I could say the pre-app would help, but I doubt it.

Ehh, who knows how they get names. I distinctly remember reading a newspaper report of a dog getting sent a credit approval.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 7 of 22
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Mailak wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

Ehh, who knows how they get names. I distinctly remember reading a newspaper report of a dog getting sent a credit approval.

Too bad it wasn't one of mine! Smiley Very Happy Woof Woof!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 22
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@bostonte wrote:
Are you sure it's a preapproval and not an invitation to apply? Many banks, including Discover, make them look almost exactly the same. One implies credit criteria was checked, the other merely means you were on some mailing list they purchased. Does it have the opt-out prescreen disclosure?

No, it doesn't have this  (I know what you are talking about).  But it is curious since none of us has gotten a preapproval from a cc company since we opted out over a year ago.  So it's just weird.  If their website wasn't broken I'd apply and just find out, (Well, DH would apply).

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my sister-in-law as an AU on a card for a while (no longer using the card, so I cancelled the AU's off of it). She still keeps getting pre-approvals from Citi etc, and she's 15. Not as bad as a 9 year old, but still.

At least in her case, she *does* have a credit score, I guess - since she was an AU for a while.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.