Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Delta - to apply or not apply?

tag
rs02
Established Member

AMEX Delta - to apply or not apply?

Hello all,

I'm looking for guidance. I've recently been pre-qualified for AMEX Delta Gold card through their website. I'm not sure if the website is legit with the pre-qualified offers. My FICO8 scores are EX644, TU632, EX 622. I have several credit cards Capital One Journey $2200, Home Depot $6400, Discover $2500. My utilization is at 46% so should I pay it down and then apply for the credit card? 

18 REPLIES 18
rs02
Established Member

AMEX Delta Gold - To apply or not apply?

Hello all,

I'm looking for guidance.  I've recently been pre-qualified for AMEX Delta Gold card.  I'm not sure if the website is legit with the pre-qualified offers.  My scored are EX644, TU632, EX 622.  I have several credit cards Capital One Journey $2200, Home Depot $6400, Discover $2500.  My utilization is at 46% so should I pay it down and then apply for the credit card?

Message 1 of 19
jsk0307
New Contributor

Re: AMEX Delta Gold - To apply or not apply?

Is it prequalified on the amex site, or some third party like credit karma? I've heard that the amex site has a good chance (90%) if you PQ there. Hopefully those more knowledgeable will chime in.

But, I too have been considering amex and looked at the delta card. Seems to get mixed reviews. If you fly delta frequently and can maximize the rewards then it might be worth it. But if not, it might be better holding off. I've read that the amex blue cards are good cash back options but I believe they look for a TU score of 690 or higher before it shows up as a PQ option.

Starting Score: 566
Current Score: 707
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This post really belongs in the credit card section and not the rebuild section.
Message 3 of 19
rs02
Established Member

Thank you, I'll repost to that section!
Message 4 of 19
rs02
Established Member

Thanks for your insight. It's on the AMEX website. I am going to repost my question in the credit cards section.
Message 5 of 19
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Delta - to apply or not apply?

My guess is that you would be approved but your starting credit line will likely be low.

Getting utilization on all cards below 30% would be helpful in increasing your scores. So yes, if you have the means pay down your balances and give them time to report.

Is the Delta card useful to you? I went after the points but it sits in the proverbial sock drawer currently.

Message 7 of 19
rs02
Established Member

Thank you. I'm going to pay my cards down and apply in September when I'm lower than 20%

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Appleman wrote:

My guess is that you would be approved but your starting credit line will likely be low.

Getting utilization on all cards below 30% would be helpful in increasing your scores. So yes, if you have the means pay down your balances and give them time to report.

Is the Delta card useful to you? I went after the points but it sits in the proverbial sock drawer currently.

@rs02

Ive merged your two threads into one here.  Please do not cross post in different forums as this is confusing to posters trying to assist you and is against forum rules.  If you need to move a post, please use the drop down menu in your post to 'report inappropriate content' and a Moderator will move your post for you to the appropriate forum. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation

Message 9 of 19
rs02
Established Member

Ok so is my post now in the credit card section? Thank you for your assistance.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.