cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Invitation to Apply For PRG - Does this mean I should be able to get BCP?

tag
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

AMEX Invitation to Apply For PRG - Does this mean I should be able to get BCP?

Hello again everyone!  So as the title says, I received an invitation in the mail to apply for the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card.  It states that it is an "Exclusive Invitation to Apply for".  I do not really want the annual fee and would not spend enough to get enough rewards to make it, well, rewarding.  By getting this mailer do you think that I should be able to get the AMEX BCP?  I was recently (May 8th) approved for the Costco AMEX with a limit of 9400.  My UTIL and all other info is the same as it was at that time except my FICO score here is now 732.

What are my chances?  I still only come up with the Green card on the pre-approval site.

Starting Score: EQ: 695 (MyFico)
Current Score: EQ 729(MyFico 05/07/14), EXP 724 05/08/2014, 744 Card Acquisition Risk Score 09/09/13 (Chase Pulled)
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Invitation to Apply For PRG - Does this mean I should be able to get BCP?

@themanwhosoldtheworld wrote:

Hello again everyone!  So as the title says, I received an invitation in the mail to apply for the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card.  It states that it is an "Exclusive Invitation to Apply for".  I do not really want the annual fee and would not spend enough to get enough rewards to make it, well, rewarding.  By getting this mailer do you think that I should be able to get the AMEX BCP?  I was recently (May 8th) approved for the Costco AMEX with a limit of 9400.  My UTIL and all other info is the same as it was at that time except my FICO score here is now 732.

What are my chances?  I still only come up with the Green card on the pre-approval site.

Hey themanwhosoldtheworld!

Nice name btw.  The offer to apply by Amex is likely a marketing opportunity as opposed to a firm offer of credit.  Does the offer say anywhere that it is a pre-approved offer or at the bottom of the offer does it say something about "opting out" for future offers of credit?  Looking at your current scores, I'd think you are probably a go for either or card.  Mind you the PRG is a charge card and the BCP is a revolver.  The UW for each is different with the revolver being the harder to get.  If you could provide some info about your current profile- AAoA, baddies, current revolving acts, CLs and last apps for credit- we might be better able to give advice on approval odds.  But in answer to your question- no, this offer does not mean that you are eligible for the BCP.  But look, the marketing worked... You are asking about their cards and you are interested. Smiley Happy

Edited:  grammar

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 4
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

Re: AMEX Invitation to Apply For PRG - Does this mean I should be able to get BCP?

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@themanwhosoldtheworld wrote:

Hey themanwhosoldtheworld!

Nice name btw.  The offer to apply by Amex is likely a marketing opportunity as opposed to a firm offer of credit.  Does the offer say anywhere that it is a pre-approved offer or at the bottom of the offer does it say something about "opting out" for future offers of credit?  Looking at your current scores, I'd think you are probably a go for either or card.  Mind you the PRG is a charge card and the BCP is a revolver.  The UW for each is different with the revolver being the harder to get.  If you could provide some info about your current profile- AAoA, baddies, current revolving acts, CLs and last apps for credit- we might be better able to give advice on approval odds.  But in answer to your question- no, this offer does not mean that you are eligible for the BCP.  But look, the marketing worked... You are asking about their cards and you are interested. Smiley Happy

Edited:  grammar

Thank you for the input! 

It does not anywhere state that it is pre-approved but does have the "You can choose to stop received prescreened offers of credit by opting-out" statement at the bottom.

These were my stats as of the AMEX Costco approval ealier in the month:

Current EX FICO: 724

Util: 23%

Inq: 4 in the last year (now 5)

AMEX May 14

CBNA Sept 13

Chase Sept 13

FNBO July 13

FNBO June 13

No baddies at all on EX.  There is one on TU that popped up but it is for $50 that I am in the process of PFD. 

EDIT:  I have the following revolvers (just listing the ones worth listing)

Barclays rewards

Discover it

Chase Freedom

Citi Thank You Preferred

Costco AMEX

Starting Score: EQ: 695 (MyFico)
Current Score: EQ 729(MyFico 05/07/14), EXP 724 05/08/2014, 744 Card Acquisition Risk Score 09/09/13 (Chase Pulled)
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 4
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Smiley Happy

Well based on your info- I think you will be approved for the BCP.  Nice thing is, if denied- it's a SP because you are already a CM.  You are relatively new to Amex and that is probably the only draw back but I've seen people with worse profiles get approved for multiple cards. Smiley Happy

As far as the PRG, because of the "opt out" notice, that is a pre-approved offer.  Might want to consider it if the bonus is good- there is no annual fee the first year for this card.

Pre-approvals are not 100% but they are a very good indicator of approval odds if your profile hasn't changed drastically since the SP to determine eligibility.  

Good luck!  I say go for it if you really want the card.  For a higher limit and likely better terms, wait a good 6 months since your recent approval and run some real spend through the TE.  Either way, I think you are ok to app. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.