Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx car rental insurance

tag
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx car rental insurance

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind that the credit card policies only protect you with respect to the rental company.  If you hit somebody else, the damage you cause the third party is not covered by those policies.  Usually your own insurance will cover you, but you need to check with your insurance company about your specific policy, especially when traveling in foreign countries.  You can also get a short term policy from the rental company sometimes.  

I'm going to have to check and make sure, but that'll make me feel better, just in case I hit someone....😞

Message 11 of 15
trant3
Established Contributor

Your auto insurance will be primary unless you dont have insurance.

Note that the chase sapphire reserve is PRIMARY regardless if you have insurance.
FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trant3 wrote:

Note that the chase sapphire reserve is PRIMARY regardless if you have insurance.

CSP is also primary, in addition to CSR. Two good choices.

Message 13 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@trant3 wrote:
Your auto insurance will be primary unless you dont have insurance.

If you sign up for the Amex Premium Rental Coverage it's primary for theft or damage to the rental vehicle regardless of your other insurance.

The link @Anonymous provided breaks it down nicely:

https://feeservices.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

Message 14 of 15
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for their responses! I learned a lot this morning lol and signed up for the premium car insurance, and I reserved a car. Along with my car insurance i should be covered if the worst happens tyvm!! 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.