Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex conversion

tag
heirophant
Established Contributor

Amex conversion

This subject hasn't been covered very much here...LOL.  This question, though, is when you convert, do they just give you the same account number and just send you a blue with the same account number?  Do they give you the exact same history down to the month or should I wait until January to convert my Delta to Blue? I got it in February.  I use my Green so much, I'm burning off the plastic, but hardly using my Delta now and I would rather just get the Membership Rewards points anyway.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
heirophant
Established Contributor

Re: Amex conversion

bump

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They give you a new card with a new account number, but it does inherit the history of the old card.  Shortly after that, they give F/R.

Kidding about that last part.

Mostly.

Message 3 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They give you a new card with a new account number, but it does inherit the history of the old card.  Shortly after that, they give F/R.

Mostly.

I was told by Amex that they keep the same account number, and my Delta to Blue did indeed inherit the account number also. The CSRs said all it does is switch card styles and rewards programs, everything else (CL and IR) stay the same.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  While I haven't actually done it, I was told the exact oppostite about the account numbers when I asked them about it.

Huh.

Message 5 of 21
heirophant
Established Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Mostly.

I was told by Amex that they keep the same account number, and my Delta to Blue did indeed inherit the account number also. The CSRs said all it does is switch card styles and rewards programs, everything else (CL and IR) stay the same.

As Cheddar hinted, did you get an FR shortly therafter?  And since I just got my Green in May, is it adviseable to wait a little while?

Message Edited by heirophant on 07-08-2008 02:21 PM

Mortgage 11/20
Message 6 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I didn't get it after switching. I got it when I applied and was approved for Green and Clear about a month after.

But yes, I did get FR'd.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting.  While I haven't actually done it, I was told the exact oppostite about the account numbers when I asked them about it.

Huh.

Hmm. Well it could either be an incorrect CSR on either of our parts, or a coincidence that my number stayed the same.

Maybe it's different for going to different cards? Like the number would switch if going to Blue Sky?

Not sure, but they assured me mine wouldn't change and it did not.
Here we go again...
Message 8 of 21
heirophant
Established Contributor

Ooh!  Another question.  How long did you have Delta before switching?

Mortgage 11/20
Message 9 of 21
Chazman
Contributor

I recently switched from Delta Sky to Blue... Same account number, same history.  You also might try a CLI a week or so after the switch. 

I was denied repeatedly over the last 16 months on the Amex Delta Sky, but after I switched I clicked the button and they gave me an extra $1,000.  That's all I asked for, and it was a soft pull. 
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.