Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Sprees ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: App Sprees ?

I found a graph of my 40 store card app spree "new account ding".  I guess a "ding" would be an understatement, more like a slegehammer to the credit.  Smiley Happy

It does get pretty ugly for sure:.  It's a CK FAKO score so the scores are not accurate but you can get a jist of what happens when you add a ton of new credit at once.

My "Real" FICO dropped to around 613 at that low point and First Premier probably would have denied me.  

If you're going on an app spree, just know you're gonna have some serious gardening to do after Smiley Happy

40 store card spree.png

Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Funny part is, I see lots of app sprees by people with perfect credit who can afford to take the hit on their credit more than someone starting out.  Someone starting out sees this, figures this is the way to go, despite their credit not being able to support it, and they wind up in deeper trouble.  

I'm one of those who believes you apply for the cards that suit you best.  For me that's 4 or 5, for others it may be more. Unfortunately for the 50+ card crowd, bankruptcy attorneys don't accept credit as payment. 

Are you implying that someone who has 50 cards is automatically doomed to bankruptcy?

Also, what stops one from taking a cash advance for the attorney? Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Funny part is, I see lots of app sprees by people with perfect credit who can afford to take the hit on their credit more than someone starting out.  Someone starting out sees this, figures this is the way to go, despite their credit not being able to support it, and they wind up in deeper trouble.  

I'm one of those who believes you apply for the cards that suit you best.  For me that's 4 or 5, for others it may be more. Unfortunately for the 50+ card crowd, bankruptcy attorneys don't accept credit as payment. 

@Anonymous,

Can you enlighten us on this comment - see blue.  We are all hear to learn so what exactly do you mean by that?

Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

It means of course that those of us who choose to have more cards than fingers and toes are certain to be in financial ruin. Smiley Wink

See ya in the funny pages!

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you implying that someone who has 50 cards is automatically doomed to bankruptcy?

Certainly not everybody is doomed for BK with that many, but there are a select few people who can handle that kind of credit.  The ones that don't will wind up there. So, yes, I am implying. Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 40
denver133
Frequent Contributor

I'll chime in.  My app spree was perfect timing for me.  I closed on my home a month ago and once I had my keys in my hand I could app for what I wanted.  

It just depends on your needs/wants.  I wanted a couple new prime cards in my wallet since my focus over the past 24 months has been my new home.  I also wanted to take advantage of as many signup bonuses I could get since I had to purchase a lot of new things for my new home. Now I have pretty much every card I could wish for (except my Fidelity card).  So now I can sit back, let these inquiries fall off in the next 24 months.  AAoA will bounce back and I will still be sitting with cards I want to grow.  

My Cards: CSP: $5,000 // Hyatt: $5,000 // Cap1 Venture: $5,000 // US Bank Plat: $3,500 // Discover: $1,000 // AMEX BCE: $1,000 // Lowes: $5,500 // Furniture Row: $3,500 // Buckle Store Card: $750

Current MyFico Scores: EX 687 EQ 696 TU 687 Gardening from 5/15 till 5/16

Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Certainly not everybody is doomed for BK with that many, but there are a select few people who can handle that kind of credit.  The ones that don't will wind up there. So, yes, I am implying. Smiley Very Happy

I entirely disagree for the simple fact that it is not easy to rack up 50+ credit cards.  

You make it seem like just anybody can get 50 credit cards at any time if they wanted to.

It is NOT easy, and there are multiple tricks involved and it takes YEARS of work.

Anybody who can actually spend the time, has the interest and the skill to rack up 50 cards is much more knowledgable than your average Joe with 5 credit cards.  

In school, those who put in the time and earn the knowledge are more likely to succeed.  

Your average Joe with no credit knowledge is 1000X more likely to go BK than somebody who has learned the way credit works.  

You just can't get to 50+ cards without ALOT of responsibility, work and knowledge. 

If it is so easy to get 50+ credit cards, how would YOU go about getting 50+ cards and how many years will it take you to do it?  

Message 37 of 40
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anybody who can actually spend the time, has the interest and the skill to rack up 50 cards is much more knowledgable than your average Joe with 5 credit cards.

You didn't include "has the scores". Smiley Wink

Message 38 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Part of the difference of opinion on app sprees might be also a difference in goals.   Spreeing (which I'll define as apping for lots of cards over a short period of time, where short can be as long as a few months) will certainly hit your score and thus potentially CL/APR of a new card, but if your starting score is high, and your goal is to get bonuses, it doesn't matter that much.

So if I apped with a clean record, let's say I get card X as a Visa Sig with a $20K CL and a 14% APR.   But instead I app after a spree, and get it as a Plat with a $4K CL and a 22.9% APR.    Now as both versions of card X offer $Y after $Z spend in 3 months, I really don't care, I do the spend, get the reward and move on to the next card.  Providing I can keep getting the card, the terms don't really matter, as they will be SD/closed at some point.

So a lot of the FT heavy hitters for travel bonuses were fine with scores in say the 750 range.   No point in aiming for 800+ as you don't gain anything, and the only real point of a high score is to get the things you want.

Message 39 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll just say this, I'm happy with the three cards I have now, when I want more I'll get more.  I don't have to 'spree' to get what I want.  I just have to be in a place that I'm comfortable with acquiring more credit.  That hasn't happened yet. 

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.