cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for new card or credit limit increase ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for new card or credit limit increase ?

Since you're going to take a hard hit either way, I would close the account that has the AF, then apply for the BBR. No way I would go for a CLI on a card with a fee.... Unless it was a HUGE limit. And your card is young, so it shouldn't affect your scores that much.
Message 11 of 16
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CLI.

Unless you're looking for more general credit to decrease utilization overall.

thats what im going for but with any new cards you'll always get 0% APR intro rate thats why im looking at cards more than just to decrease utilization overall. Trying see whats the whole hype about amex everyday other than the nice looks from my caculations the most i can get back from ''ALL OTHER PURCHASES'' is 1.2%. 1.5% if i pay $95 annual fee ? but capitlOne has 1.5% cash back no annual fee and Citi Double Cash is 2% cash back. So i wouldnt want get another card i already have in terms of reward structure. Thats like getting Chase Freedom when i already have Discover IT they both are the same in their 5% catergories last month both has 5% gas. 

I would app for the BBR first then if possible transfer the CL over then close the other BOA card. 

And it is a little different than getting a Freedom when you already have the DIscover IT.  While the categories did overlap this quarter that generally doesn't happen.  Also the Freedom in the future could be a more versatile card if paired with the CSP.  Personally I would always chose the Freedom over the IT.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ezdoesit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CLI.

Unless you're looking for more general credit to decrease utilization overall.

thats what im going for but with any new cards you'll always get 0% APR intro rate thats why im looking at cards more than just to decrease utilization overall. Trying see whats the whole hype about amex everyday other than the nice looks from my caculations the most i can get back from ''ALL OTHER PURCHASES'' is 1.2%. 1.5% if i pay $95 annual fee ? but capitlOne has 1.5% cash back no annual fee and Citi Double Cash is 2% cash back. So i wouldnt want get another card i already have in terms of reward structure. Thats like getting Chase Freedom when i already have Discover IT they both are the same in their 5% catergories last month both has 5% gas. 

I would app for the BBR first then if possible transfer the CL over then close the other BOA card. 

And it is a little different than getting a Freedom when you already have the DIscover IT.  While the categories did overlap this quarter that generally doesn't happen.  Also the Freedom in the future could be a more versatile card if paired with the CSP.  Personally I would always chose the Freedom over the IT.

i would have maybe applied but i think its getting old and probably will come oout with something better soon like citi just did with their double cash. 2% everything which now bears capitol one 1.5% everything even beats american express everyday card 1.2% everything with 20% bonus which i would eyeing for due to the nice looks. the white one Smiley Very Happy you said paired CSP = chase sapphiire preferred ?   thats has annual fee i think ?

hard inquiries debating ...

CareCredit credit limit increase (they've decreased it from $12,000 to $6,000 due to insufficient use) so i was going to ask for $20,000 before using it or ...

American Express Everyday Card (most generous credit limit in my opinion but rewards suck compare to what others offer in cash back) Possibily $6,000+ if approved. With the Everyday card there's a catch. It's 20% it's 0.20% lol  so 1% + .20% = 1.2% i think Smiley Tongue and for preferred it's 1.5% 1% + 0.20% if you make 30 transactions before statement cuts. 

Chase Freedom (not sure if Discover IT will decrease my limit if i start using Chase).

Citi Double Cash Reward Card (2% cash back on everything. Beats CapitolOne QuickSilver, American Express Blue Cash, Everyday Card and others 1% ''other purchases'')

Bank America Better Balance Rewards (i'd hate waste am inquiry for this because i already have BankAmerica Cash Rewards but has an annual fee if i product change)

perhaps can call see if they remove annal fee and change product 

lots of hard inquiries !! 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE ..

so i've saved myself a hard inquiry  (lifeline) that i could use later .

CareCredit credit limit increase (they've decreased it from $12,000 to $6,000 due to insufficient use) so i was going to ask for $20,000 before using it or ...

American Express Everyday Card (most generous credit limit in my opinion but rewards suck compare to what others offer in cash back) Possibily $6,000+ if approved. With the Everyday card there's a catch. It's 20% it's 0.20% lol  so 1% + .20% = 1.2% i think :smileytongue: and for preferred it's 1.5% 1% + 0.20% if you make 30 transactions before statement cuts. 

Chase Freedom (not sure if Discover IT will decrease my limit if i start using Chase).

Citi Double Cash Reward Card (2% cash back on everything. Beats CapitolOne QuickSilver, American Express Blue Cash, Everyday Card and others 1% ''other purchases'')

anyways, Bank America  removed the annual fee. Changed it to ''give him $120 a year.'' No annal fee. No need to apply. No hard inquiry Smiley Happy using this # 866-618-4585

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

UPDATE ..

CareCredit credit limit increase (they've decreased it from $12,000 to $6,000 due to insufficient use) so i was going to ask for $20,000 before using it or ...

American Express Everyday Card (most generous credit limit in my opinion but rewards suck compare to what others offer in cash back) Possibily $6,000+ if approved. With the Everyday card there's a catch. It's 20% it's 0.20% lol  so 1% + .20% = 1.2% i think :smileytongue: and for preferred it's 1.5% 1% + 0.20% if you make 30 transactions before statement cuts. 

Chase Freedom (not sure if Discover IT will decrease my limit if i start using Chase).

Citi Double Cash Reward Card (2% cash back on everything. Beats CapitolOne QuickSilver, American Express Blue Cash, Everyday Card and others 1% ''other purchases'')

anyways, Bank America  removed the annual fee. Changed it to ''give him $120 a year.'' No annal fee. No need to apply. No hard inquiry Smiley Happy using this # 866-618-4585

I don't know what you said, but I just called and the analyst that I spoke with didn't want to remove the fee. She had the nerve to ask me why would I want it removed. Kidding me? I told her that NONE  of my other cards charge an annual fee. And why would I want to pay $59 for a card with a $1000 limit? It's already unfair that some people only pay $39. She then put me on hold for a long time. When she came back, she said that she put in a request for the fee to be removed permanently and that I should hear something in 7-10 business days. If they won't remove it after numerous requests to CSRs and the EO, I'm closing the account. I don't get how they remove for some people and they won't for me. 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

UPDATE ..

anyways, Bank America  removed the annual fee. Changed it to ''give him $120 a year.'' No annal fee. No need to apply. No hard inquiry Smiley Happy using this # 866-618-4585    (do not use any other number but that one!) 

I don't know what you said, but I just called and the analyst that I spoke with didn't want to remove the fee. She had the nerve to ask me why would I want it removed. Kidding me? I told her that NONE  of my other cards charge an annual fee. And why would I want to pay $59 for a card with a $1000 limit? It's already unfair that some people only pay $39. She then put me on hold for a long time. When she came back, she said that she put in a request for the fee to be removed permanently and that I should hear something in 7-10 business days. If they won't remove it after numerous requests to CSRs and the EO, I'm closing the account. I don't get how they remove for some people and they won't for me. 

sorry i posted the conversation in another forum and wanted to post it here but mods dont like me duplicate my posts but i'll post it here. Sorry about your experience but you can always call again and try someone different. Everyone has a different atitude. Mines only $500 but i wasn't willing to use a hard inquiry for credit limit increase since it will not do me any good for balance tranfers since my 0% APR expired plus im only going  to use the card for extra $120 in my pocket. Enough to cover American Express Gold  annual fee Smiley Tongue With Bank America Cash Rewards i've only accumulated $60 in cash rewards this year so having the Bank America Better Balance Rewards is a better fit for me anyway with $120 a year just for paying the min.or full and since its only $500 limit i have no problem doing that. 

Analyst: Card number please ? I see you have Platinum Plus Rewards Card - Member since 2012, thank you for that, how can i help you today ? 

''Yes ... as you said since 2012 .... i had my Cash Rewards for almost 2 years but with an annual fee i feel it no longer fits my portfolio and was going to cancel it (FIRST DEFENSE) but before i do i wanted to call first to see if maybe i could have the annual fee removed permanently and maybe have it changed to the better balance rewards...

(i wrote everything i was going to say prior calling, luckily i didn't need to use it but just in case they said oh well you can apply the no annual fee cards, visit our site blah blah blah)

i used this anyway as my (SECOND DEFENSE) before they could even tell me to apply anything Smiley Very Happy 

''While i could apply,  i felt it wasn’t neccessary if i can do the product change from cash rewards to the better balance rewards.'' 

and their response was ''that's right you don't have to apply for product changes.''

Analyst: (put me on hold to look see what she can do)  She removed the annual fee. Changed it to ''give him $120 a year.''Smiley Very Happy

No anal fee Smiley Very Happy 

No need to apply.

No hard inquiry Smiley Happy 

do not use any other number but this one! 866-618-4585 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.