Valued Contributor

BofA balance transfers

I'm wondering what everyone's experience with BoA and balance transfers is.  I just got a CLI from $500 back to $3500 a month ago.  Now today I sent in for a balance transfer, because a 0.0% offer popped up and this is a balance I was going to pay off over the next 6-8 months.  The fee would be 3% ($90) and I'm paying over $40/mo. in interest on the balance (yuck).  So i figured it would be beneficial to take them up on the offer.  Unfortunately, it will put me within a few hundred $ of my CL on the BoA card.

Now, I'm just remembering the circumstances why they CLD'd me in the first place.  It was immediately after paying off my original BT, which is why I opened the card in the first place.  I paid $200 payments a month and paid the original BT off in 6 months several years ago, and they CLD'd me.....?

Anywho, now I'm worried that I should have just left that card alone.  I hope they don't deny the transfer and then CLD me back down.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Epic Contributor

Re: BofA balance transfers

I tried to do a BT on BofA late last year I think it was and they quickly CLD the account to current balance and declined the BT.  I would stay clear of BofA unless your reports are pretty clean and don't have much debt

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 705 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
88 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor

I've done 3 BT's with them without problems, but as always, YMMV.

I did pay each one down on a schedule that zeroed it out by the end of the promo period. Maybe they were reassured by seeing the balance drop quickly. Or disappointed; I dunno.

They tried to get me to do that 3% fee, 0% APR BT when I was with them on the phone the other day. The offer was only good during the phone call, and I said, nope, I don't make financial decisions on the fly like that. :smileyvery-happy: It would have been for 8 months, making it effectively 4.5% APR, which wasn't bad.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

They just gave me this BT offer, so I'm hoping they wouldn't send out offers if they didn't want you to use them....  right?  :smileyhappy:

My utilization has been hovering around 40%, I believe.  Like $6000/15000 ballpark right now.  That balance had been going down steadily....  then I bought a car and charged $1600 in taxes onto one of the cards :smileysad:

I think I'm in the beginning stages of a financial meltdown, hehe.  No, not really.  I've been paying a net of $1000/mo. to the cards.  I just really wanted this car!

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.