Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Debit Card

JustWill,

They tried to do the samething to me , offering the debit card with a fee saying you get more points and the $25.00 is nothing compared to all the points you wll get... they do have the standard debit card but you almost have to demand it...because I have a regular deit card no fee then you can go online to there website and register it for chase extra to get points on that card which is free but they want tell you that in the lobby ..you can also call chase 800 number to ask for a standard debit card no fee and they will send it to you without pressureing you into trying to get that fee debit card because I did that ... I swear I think the lobby clerks work off some type of commission that's why the try to get you into thing you don't want  .  

Message Edited by newbeeneedadvise on 11-11-2009 04:47 PM
Message 21 of 27
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Credit Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Nonsense asking for a lower interest rate will have no effect your credit at all. By getting a lower interest rate you can pay the card off quicker, and infact the lender will often run a promotion. My Citi Diamond card I have had since 2005 has an interest rate of 6.75, my Citi Professional is 7.8, and my business card is at 8.99 because I asked for a lower rate. Prior to asking it was at 11%-15%. Chase like many lenders will offer better interest rates you need to just ask when you call them.

CreditCardMaster, this has not been the case for some forum members. We have had folks report that they called in to try to get their interest rate lowered, and, in return, their account was reviewed by a human and AA was taken such as closing accounts, lowering credit limits, etc. They have reported that they would have left well enough alone had they known that could happen...and it can.

I truly believe that asking for a lower credit limit did not affect YOUR credit, and it may not have an effect on the OP's credit....but that has not been the case for everyone here. In today's tighter credit climate, it is almost impossible to make blanket, all-inclusive statements that are accurate.

Message 22 of 27
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Credit Card

My policy in these difficult times is not to contact the creditor for ANY reason unless you absolutely have to sort out some problem with your current account.  Asking for CLI's, lower interest rates, change of payment dates, etc is an invitation for a manual review request.  Unless you absolutely need a a CLI just keep your head down and go on with your life until better economic times return.  It makes life easier and less troublesome.
Message 23 of 27
JustWill
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
I sear I think the looby clerks work off some type of commission the why the try to get you into thing you don't want  .  

I basically had to ask if there was a basic debit card or if I would have to just have an ATM card. The clerk ordered the vanilla debit for me, but also tried to get me to apply for a credit card...

Message 24 of 27
thedaveytrain
Valued Member

I know several people who work at bank branches, and they all have upsale contests when new things come out. Of course they are going to try to get you to opt-in to the new debit card, or even to apply for a credit card when you decide not to opt-in. They get paid extra for this stuff.
01/25/10 - TU 709, EQ 729, EX 705
Message 25 of 27
OonaMission
Regular Contributor

Yes, aside from their hourly wage tellers are also paid for referrals when they open a new account or product for a customer. If you use your Chase debit card a lot, the AF can be worth it. If not, then demand the no-fee debit card and they will give it to you. Also, if I recall the debit purchases have to be ran as credit purcahses (non-PIN) to rack up rewards.
Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustWill wrote:

On a somewhat related note, when I was making a deposit yesterday I was told that I needed to replace my WaMu debit card and was offered 3 different rewards debit cards with AFs. Needless to say, I'm stepping up my credit union search...

I have the Leisure Rewards ($25 annual fee) and initially I wasnt going to try it. However, if you pay by debit card (bills, daily transactions, etc..) the $25 becomes a wash.  I have had the card for 1 yr and have 75,000 points. I dont regret paying the $25. In my thought process, I was going to use the debit card for those transactions anyway, might as well get some benefit.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.