Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Cancellation Fail

tag
torry590
Regular Contributor

Credit One Cancellation Fail

Well, I was trying to get rid of my fee harvester cards and this was the smallest and first on the list. It's the credit one Platinum 1.5% cash back. The annual fee is divided up after the 1st year at 8.25 a month. 🙄

Limit sits at $300 despite much improvement in my score and excellent payment history. They would not budge on the limit, but that's not the end of the world for me.

It has been paid off for a couple months now. I got tired of the 8.25 a month fee so I called to cancel because of it. Well they waived the fee for 6 months and credited the two I already paid. 

They suckered me into staying lol. The month before the 6 months is up I'm calling again to cancel. Probably going to sock drawer it. Use it for a pack of gum and pay it off in 3 months or so. 

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Papa_Bear
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit One Cancellation Fail

I actually sent them a letter requesting the cancellation of my account. Luckily, it was done with no issues. I figured they might try the same with me and sometimes my anxiety gets in the way.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow, $8.25 a month is bad enough, then they only give you $300. that makes it hard to stay at a low utilization rate. You are doing the right thing for sure

Thanks

Mark

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That monthly fee thing is crazy. Why not just charge it once a year and be done with it. 😲

Message 4 of 16
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

I just dumped 2 of my bottom feeders, next gen first digital and applied bank visa. i dumped ngfd last month and it took a few calls to get the job done but i have an official cancellation letter from them. i just closed applied a few days ago and they promised  me the letter in 7-10 days. august i plan to close reflex.

when you call them you need to write the date and time and

name and id number of csr

verification you owe zero

request written proof account was closed

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say call them back and close them. They're going to keep trying to get you to stay. Even after I closed mine many years ago they kept emailing me to come back lol. 

Message 6 of 16
torry590
Regular Contributor

That was my main point. I could barely use it. The first year the annual fee was in a lump sum. The 2nd year they break it down monthly. 

Now since they waived it, I have no issues with the card and can utilize the 1.5% without a fee eating any of it. 

First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 7 of 16
torry590
Regular Contributor

I'll keep it open as long as they waive the fees. Could help with a small emergency that I want some cash back on, things like that. Plus it will age 6 more months. I'll definitely cancel if they refuse to waive again. 

Message 8 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I just dumped 2 of my bottom feeders, next gen first digital and applied bank visa. i dumped ngfd last month and it took a few calls to get the job done but i have an official cancellation letter from them. i just closed applied a few days ago and they promised  me the letter in 7-10 days. august i plan to close reflex.

when you call them you need to write the date and time and

name and id number of csr

verification you owe zero

request written proof account was closed

Could you please refrain from calling anything "bottom feeder"

While you are referring to a lender/card, for many those are still necessary evil and referring to anything they might need at the moment as "bottom feeder" really doesn't help at all. 

I'm sure you wouldn't want cards you have referred to via names that would make you feel less than others. 

Message 9 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@torry590 wrote:

That was my main point. I could barely use it. The first year the annual fee was in a lump sum. The 2nd year they break it down monthly. 

Now since they waived it, I have no issues with the card and can utilize the 1.5% without a fee eating any of it. 

Try again to get it waived at the end of six months. If they say yes, no reason to close.

If they say no, close it if you don't need it. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.