Valued Member
judydyoung

Credit card over the limit question

I have a question about exactly how bad does going over the limit affect your score.

My mom has a first premier card which Im sure ya'll know - it comes to you with the balance already practically used up. Been paying it but she had a slew of Kaiser visits she had to do, and had to use the card... mindful of her limit, but there was a booboo somewhere because I logged in just now and it says she went over her limit by $2.51 (the booboo is forgetting they charge $7 a month service fee)

So...I tried searching this on the forum but everyones scenario is unique I couldnt figure out the exact answer... 

I know going over the limit dings her credit, however is it the same as having a high balance - where if you pay it down, the score will go back up? Or is it a permanent ding. I know it will permanently show on her record but I guess the question rephrased could be, high balance affects her score but her account is still positive/satisfactory. Will going over the limit affect that status and make it a negative/adverse or just affect her score.

Shes never been late, and being late is not an issue. Just saying that because I saw on a few responses to questions about over the limit - about being late and thats not my question. I set up her payments online and make sure its paid at least a week before her due date.

So question is only about going over the credit limit, and just how bad does it affect the scoring... 

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Re: Credit card over the limit question

Here is what Experian says:

http://www.experian.com/ask_max/max091609c.html

Sounds like only a utilization hit, unless they report an overlimit status.    I assume if you paid it down before it closed, it would not be a problem. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}