Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More VS Discover More Student

tag
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Discover More VS Discover More Student

Hello everyone!

It's that time again where I have been gardening for over a year now and would like a few great cards in my wallet!

I turn 21 in April, and am currently a student as well as employed, I used to always apply for the Discover More card and was denied (I was maxed out and had a ton of INQs, I'm sure most of us have been there). 

I called the recon center once and was told that Discover More and Discover More Student are the same card, they are treated the same way when it comes to CLI or APR except they're more 'lenient' with the Student card.

Is that true? Should I just apply for the Student card to be safe?

Here is my credit info:

I.  AAoA: 2.5 years

II. No Baddies whatsoever

III. INQs (1 year span):

(EQ) 2 *8 months old.*

(EX) 0

(TU) 2 *8 months old.*

IV. 20% UTL rate

V. Fako scores;

(EQ) 685

(EX) 698

(TU) 710

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Re: Discover More VS Discover More Student

If you apply for the student card, you will be PCed when you graduate. I think it's a win-win situation. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 2 of 13
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

If you apply for the student card, you will be PCed when you graduate. I think it's a win-win situation. 

Oh perfect! So you can product change? 

I'm always nervous applying, I don't know if I stand a chance. I guess I have to pull the 'trigger'. 

I wonder, would Discover More give a better credit limit than the Student card?

Message 3 of 13
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Usually student cards end up being upgraded to their non-student equivalent...or at least they have been in my experience. 

Student cards typically have lower limits than regular CCs. But I'm not really sure to be honest.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 4 of 13
CS800
Super Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

Usually student cards end up being upgraded to their non-student equivalent...or at least they have been in my experience. 

Student cards typically have lower limits than regular CCs. But I'm not really sure to be honest.

+1

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frogfan12 wrote:

Yup, and they're typically easier to approved for.  Not all student cards are automatically PCed though. 

Message 6 of 13
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Don't expect a spectacular CL from Discover either way, they tend to be a little stingy. 2 yrs and I am still at $4k with them, despite having two other cards with $14k & $21k.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for your guys' responses! I couldn't have done it without you!

And those are some hefty credit lines LTomBerry! I wish I had those, who are the lenders?

Thanks again everyone!
Message 8 of 13
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@grigorexxxcore wrote:
Thank you everyone for your guys' responses! I couldn't have done it without you!

And those are some hefty credit lines LTomBerry! I wish I had those, who are the lenders?

Thanks again everyone!

USAA and Amex BCP. Keep in mind that's with a 780ish score and 6 yrs AAoA so it didn't get there overnight.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Oh of course! That's really great though, I hope I can achieve that same status myself one day!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.