Established Contributor
MountainHiker

Re: Discover mid-cycle reporting... again!

HiLine wrote:

MountainHiker wrote:

SwampSystems wrote:

I was very apprehensive before using my Discover card again after the last statement cycled. Last cycle I ran up a balance 2 days after the statement closed, which was promptly reported at Experian (though not at Equifax or TransUnion). This month, I made sure to wait until EX and EQ reflected an updated zero balance before spending again.

Today, almost 2 weeks into my new cycle, they reported my current balance of $310 to TransUnion! My TransRisk score c/o CreditKarma went from a 751 to a 723, but my TransUnion FICO c/o Walmart only went from 744 to 743. I guess this just goes to show how little value you can put into FAKO scores!

I'm to the point with my credit limits where a little utilization won't kill me, but it's just frustrating to see mid-cycle reporting after you've worked so hard to get a zero statement balance. I'm still waiting for $12,750 in CLIs to update on the rest of my cards, so I guess it won't make much of a difference after that.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that this seems to be the norm for Discover.

I want a Discover card and plan to app for it in march but this ult issue of mid-cycle reporting is a real inconvience unless you have 5 figure limits in total. Won't stop me from going after the card but I will have to adjust my spending habits so that the card is paid off a couple days after a purchase. Or I'll have to alternate using cards from month to month in order to avoid ult concerns during a month when I might need to use my credit.

Or, push a payment from your bank before making the purchases. :smileywink:

Another good option!

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Valued Contributor
maiden_girl

Re: Discover mid-cycle reporting... again!

I actually just called Discover today and asked if they could manually update my balance to reflect on my credit report and they said "sure no problem" so I will log into credit karma tomorrow and see if my new balance shows.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+