Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just getting started repairing, need advice

tag
Trigunn423
Established Member

Just getting started repairing, need advice

I am currently working on my credit and need some advice. My credit was destroyed when I was a stupid college student. I had one 1000 credit line with BoA which I paid in full in 2007. I have several student loans that were derogatory, in dec of 2012 I entered a program that helps me pay off my loans, and shows as positive on my credit reports. Unfortunately the student loans also show up under the original accounts and all show as 120+ days late. I have a tmobile charge showing up on my report that I disputed as not being my account. I also have a library card showing a 746.00 balance that isn't mine also disputed. There are two medical bills 200, 313 that I am going to send PFD letters this week. The last negative on my report is a 25000 charge off I have no idea what to do about that. It will fall off 2014.

I recently applied and was approved for a 300.00 unsecured card with capital one. I pay that in full every month for the last two months. Is there anything else I can do? My scores are 555, 579, 613 generated by privacy guard. I am looking to purchase a house in 2014 an want to qualify for an FHA loan.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

Re: Just getting started repairing, need advice

When you have extra cash.. boost the secured line from capital one. Also try for a BoA secured card... try to get that high as well so that when it grauduates, they match your lines and send you your deposit back...

Wait for some of those things to fall off.... send some good will letters... dispute what you feel is inaccurate...  other than that... it's just a waiting game..

Message 2 of 8
Trigunn423
Established Member

Thank you for the response, I've been a lurker for the past three months and this site put credit repair within reach for me! My cap one card is unsecured, and I would qualify for an increase in November. I have extra money now can I ask for a credit increase by depositing?
Message 3 of 8
Trigunn423
Established Member

Also I don't want to wait for my BoA to fall off in 2014 because that is the oldest account currently showing on my report. It is reporting as paid as agrees 0 balance. The rest of my credit is student loans, medical and phone companies- sprint and tmobile.
Message 4 of 8
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

oh, i'm sorry! I read it wrong. I thought your cap one was secured! Have you thought about a secured card? That way you could make your limit whatever you want it to be?

Message 5 of 8
Trigunn423
Established Member

I would be willing to get a secured card if it woul help boost my scores tremendously. I assumed an unsecured line would be better than a secured line. How much should I get in a secured card for it to make a significant difference?
Message 6 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Secured or unsecured would not matter as long as its a positive TL. The more you can afford to put towards your deposit the better. Are you a member of a CU? They usually have lower rates.

I would look at this list of secured cc's:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/THE-TOP-SECURED-CARDS-ON-THE-MARKET/td-p/2335...
Message 7 of 8
Trigunn423
Established Member

Thank you!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.