cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mileage or Points or Cashback for Travel?

tag
Angko
Regular Contributor

Mileage or Points or Cashback for Travel?

Hello my MyFicoers!!! If travelling, what would you suggest? Use the miles? Or the points? Or cashback?

I was thinking, if you will be using the miles earned, there will be a lot of restrictions such as blackout dates, traveling as non-revenue (no mileage to incur), etc. Also, does the points work like a cashback where you purchase your airfare and once posted on the statement, you'll just use your points to pay for the airfare amount? I'm confuse with this points and miles and cashback thing. Below (from my siggy) are the cards I just got approved this week. Can you please suggest which card/s to use. I will be receivng my CSP, BSP, PRG, and Discover sometime next week (or hope tomorrow).

Will there be a computation that I need to know?

I always travel from Saipan to Guam like 2-3x a month (business), to Manila 4-6x a year (personal and business), and the US mainland like 2-3x a month (personal and business). All travels are United and I have racked up a lot of miles on my MileagePlus (previously OnePass) Freq Flier program. I rarely use Delta and Asiana.

Current MyFico Scores as of Dec 2013: Fico EQ: 768 | Fico EX: 775 | Fico TU: 744
*** CSP: 5000 | BoA MC: 6400 | BoA Travel Rewards: 5000 | City TYP: 6500 | Discover IT: 7800 | Amex BSP: 6000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | Macys: 1500 ***
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Mileage or Points or Cashback for Travel?

Firstly, points and miles are usually different names for the same thing.  You earn "things" and can redeem them in different ways.  There are few if any programs where "5K miles" allow you to take a 5K flight.

So for many cards you earn the points/miles, and can use them do redeem against travel purchases, so 5K miles gives you $50 to use for a previously bought travel purchase.  A cash back program would just give you the cash back, although there may be better rates for travel redemption

For cards like the CSP, you can use the card to get 1.25cents per point when purchasing travel through the Chase UR portal. 

With the CSP and PRG, you also have the very valuable option of transferring points to the frequent flier programs of their partners, and this is the way people get business or first class flights cheaply or free, and is the "best" way to use points.  If these cards are new though, you probably don't have the points to do this.

Message 2 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Since you mostly fly United, we should look at things through those lenses.  United FF program is actually pretty good.  I forget the mileage for international flights, but United for continental US is 25k miles.  For basically, non restricted access to flights, they double the miles (50k in the case of continental US).  However they have made it very easy to use miles via website and a ton of flights are available if you are willing to pay the double miles.  Funny thing is that award travel via United now is more flexible for changing flights etc (without extra charge) than it is with any kind of restricted flight.  Try it yourself.

So basically I would calculate at the double miles factor and what ticket prices would be relatively and see the value of each point via miles.
  I would compare this to essentially 1.1 to 1.25 cents a point.

Obviously, UR is the easiest way to get United miles.  All the other reward systems (MR, etc), it gets much more complicated as you will have to deal with what you mentioned in your original post which is the hassle of trying to use FF miles.  This is one of the reasons why UR is so popular right now.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 14
Angko
Regular Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Since you mostly fly United, we should look at things through those lenses.  United FF program is actually pretty good.  I forget the mileage for international flights, but United for continental US is 25k miles.  For basically, non restricted access to flights, they double the miles (50k in the case of continental US).  However they have made it very easy to use miles via website and a ton of flights are available if you are willing to pay the double miles.  Funny thing is that award travel via United now is more flexible for changing flights etc (without extra charge) than it is with any kind of restricted flight.  Try it yourself.

So basically I would calculate at the double miles factor and what ticket prices would be relatively and see the value of each point via miles.
  I would compare this to essentially 1.1 to 1.25 cents a point.

Obviously, UR is the easiest way to get United miles.  All the other reward systems (MR, etc), it gets much more complicated as you will have to deal with what you mentioned in your original post which is the hassle of trying to use FF miles.  This is one of the reasons why UR is so popular right now.

Thanks longtimelurker and Crashem on this info. So, how did you come up with 1.1 to 1.25 cents? Would that be: amount of fare divided by the miles needed?

If I am to use my UR points, I will just use that to purchase my revenue tkt and use the mileage on my FF to upgrade to business class. What do you think? Besides, flying as a rev pax will earn me additional miles on my FF, right? I'm still digesting both of your posts. Hahaha...Thanks again!!!

Current MyFico Scores as of Dec 2013: Fico EQ: 768 | Fico EX: 775 | Fico TU: 744
*** CSP: 5000 | BoA MC: 6400 | BoA Travel Rewards: 5000 | City TYP: 6500 | Discover IT: 7800 | Amex BSP: 6000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | Macys: 1500 ***
Message 4 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Angko,

I was referring points being worth 1.1-1.25 cents a point under normal redemption scenarios.  For example, paying for travel with points nets you effective 1.25 cents per point.  You need to do calculation on flight cost and converted points to miles to get idea what the value for points is in the points to miles scenario.  For example, if XYZ flight was 1000 and took 50,000 miles/points then value would be 2 cents per point.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 14
Angko
Regular Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Angko,

I was referring points being worth 1.1-1.25 cents a point under normal redemption scenarios.  For example, paying for travel with points nets you effective 1.25 cents per point.  You need to do calculation on flight cost and converted points to miles to get idea what the value for points is in the points to miles scenario.  For example, if XYZ flight was 1000 and took 50,000 miles/points then value would be 2 cents per point.

Ah OK, got it. So the lower the cents per point or miles, the more favorable it should be. And same goes if you are to do an upgrade. Best is to compare the number of miles or points needed against the actual upgrade cost and do the math. Thanks Crashem. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Angko wrote:

Hello my MyFicoers!!! If travelling, what would you suggest? Use the miles? Or the points? Or cashback?

I was thinking, if you will be using the miles earned, there will be a lot of restrictions such as blackout dates, traveling as non-revenue (no mileage to incur), etc. Also, does the points work like a cashback where you purchase your airfare and once posted on the statement, you'll just use your points to pay for the airfare amount? I'm confuse with this points and miles and cashback thing. Below (from my siggy) are the cards I just got approved this week. Can you please suggest which card/s to use. I will be receivng my CSP, BSP, PRG, and Discover sometime next week (or hope tomorrow).

I always travel from Saipan to Guam like 2-3x a month (business), to Manila 4-6x a year (personal and business), and the US mainland like 2-3x a month (personal and business). All travels are United and I have racked up a lot of miles on my MileagePlus (previously OnePass) Freq Flier program. I rarely use Delta and Asiana.

If your flying United then your better off dealing with Chase and UR. The amex rewards transferred to United are not at a great rate at all. Down the line you may want to pick up the SPG card if you fly some of the 30 airlines that can gets points at a good rate from amex. If your committed to United or other chase carriers then because of their relationship with chase those are the cards you want to use. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 14
iowapilot84
Established Member

@red259 wrote:

@Angko wrote:

If your flying United then your better off dealing with Chase and UR. The amex rewards transferred to United are not at a great rate at all. Down the line you may want to pick up the SPG card if you fly some of the 30 airlines that can gets points at a good rate from amex. If your committed to United or other chase carriers then because of their relationship with chase those are the cards you want to use. 

Good point about the amex transfer ratio. I believe it is 2:1 into United so definitely not a good value. The spg can be a great tool for many of the other carriers, which transfer in at a 1:1 ratio. Plus if you move 20k miles at a time you get a 5k bonus, which is a great deal!

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - $25K / Amex Hilton - $5K / Amex Hilton Surpass - $30K / Amex SimplyCash - $10K / Amex Platinum - NPSL / B&N MasterCard - $5K / BofA Travel Rewards - $2K / BofA Alaska Airlines - $8K / Capital One QuickSilver - $38K / Chase Hyatt - $15,000 / Chase Amazon - $9K / Chase IHG Rewards - $11K / Chase Marriott Premier - $10k / Chase United Explorer - $19.5K / Citi DoubleCash - $5.5K / Citi ThankYou Preferred -$23.1K / Citi AAdvantage - $17.5K / Citi Premier - $9.3K / Citi Prestige - $20K / Discover IT - $9K / Discover IT Miles - $9K / Fidelity Amex - $3K / Kohls - $1K / Lowes - $10K / PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards - $24.5K / PNC Visa - $9K / Target Charge - $500 / US Bank Club Carlson Premier Rewards - $7.5K / CU Visa - $11K / Wyndham Rewards - $5.6K

Message 8 of 14
Angko
Regular Contributor

Thanks iowapilot and red, my sched to app for an SPG will still be on January as advised by Crashem, bec I just got approved for BSP and PRG this week. Most prob I will stick with CSP for the 1:1 transfer point until January as per your recommendations. Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Angko wrote:

Thanks iowapilot and red, my sched to app for an SPG will still be on January as advised by Crashem, bec I just got approved for BSP and PRG this week. Most prob I will stick with CSP for the 1:1 transfer point until January as per your recommendations. Thanks Smiley Happy

Remember to take into account earning potential as well!  While SPG can transfer at 1.25:1, the points are often harder to earn than some of the alternatives (e.g CSP: the CSP 2x dining, UR mall bonus, transfer of 5x from Freedom etc)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.