Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay an af or no?

tag
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Pay an af or no?

Hi,
So I've got a USAA Amex card. It's the secured one I got right at ch7 discharge, actually about a month before discharge.
It's about the hit the one year mark and charge me a $35 annual fee. Since getting the card, I have other cards that have no fees, including discover secured which is approaching 8 months, cabelas visa, and a few store cards. I rarely use the USAA card, just put something small on it and PIF.
should I keep it and pay the fee since they're technically a prime lender, or cancel or at the one year mark and get my deposit back? I don't need the money, and I look at the fee as a cost of rebuilding credit.
Scores are now all 650-680.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay an af or no?

Ask for the fee to be waived.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not familiar with USAA practices on secured cards. Do they have a graduation policy in place for their secured cards? Perhaps give them a call and reach out to see what your options are for it. Also, like the above stated, maybe you can get it waived! 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ask for the fee to be waived.

Agreed. It can't hurt to ask.

Message 4 of 5
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Don't get stuck on whether a card is a "prime lender" or not. Your credit report and score don't care if the trade line is from Credit One or from God.

If the card isn't useful to you, and you have enough credit without it, there's particular reason to pay an annual fee. Some argue that a manual review may see it as favorable, but there's no solid evidence either way.

But as suggested, it doesn't hurt to ask.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.