Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards question

tag
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Rewards question

I don't think they're processed the same.

When you charge at the pump, they send a $1.00 charge through immediately to make sure your card won't be declined.  This charge later changes to the amount of purchase.  That right there tells you that pay at pump charges are handled differently.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thrasher865 wrote:
I don't think they're processed the same.

When you charge at the pump, they send a $1.00 charge through immediately to make sure your card won't be declined.  This charge later changes to the amount of purchase.  That right there tells you that pay at pump charges are handled differently.

That's right.  Yes, they can tell if you pay at the pump, although I'm wondering where you're buying your gas that only puts through a preauthorization of $1.00.  Every station around here puts through a hold of $100.

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-04-2008 06:27 AM
Message 12 of 16
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

$100?!?  Where do you live?  Are you sure you're reading that charge correctly?  You must live in an area with a high risk of drive-offs, lol.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thrasher865 wrote:
$100?!?  Where do you live?  Are you sure you're reading that charge correctly?  You must live in an area with a high risk of drive-offs, lol.

Brooklyn, NY.

Yes, I'm reading it correctly.  It happens every time.  And yes, it's a high risk area (in many different ways).

Actually, I think $100 or so is pretty standard these days.

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-04-2008 06:29 AM
Message 14 of 16
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Well, since it never shows up on the statement, I guess it doesn't really matter what they charge.  Here in East Tennessee, I'm still showin $1.00 on my online statement under pending charges.  I would think Knoxville, TN would be worth more than $1.00 for drive-off assurance, lol.  It's a pretty decent sized city.

I guess this is getting a tad off topic.....   Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 06-04-2008 06:38 AM

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My local Chevron station here in Florida only puts through a preauthorization for $1.00.  After inserting my card, I'm asked to enter my zip code. 

According to MasterCard:

Preauthorization for Gasoline Purchases
When pre-paying at the pump with a credit card, some gas stations require a preauthorization amount to be processed. The preauthorization guarantees the gas merchant that the cardholder has the available credit to pay for the fuel that they will pump. 

The preauthorization amounts are set by the merchant but can be $75 to $100 or more.   At some gas stations the amount of the preauthorization is displayed on the pump’s digital display during the transaction.

While the preauthorization is not a charge made to the account, as long as it is in place, it factors into the calculation of the credit available on that account.  For example, if a credit card has a $600 spending limit and an individual has spent $400 on their card, if the gas station processes a $75 preauthorization amount, and then the cardholder purchases $25 worth of gas, the card will have a $100 balance (the difference between $600 and $500) available until the preauthorization is removed (and presuming no other purchases are made).

Depending on the bank or institution that issued the credit card, it can take up to a few days for the preauthorization amount to be removed.

This preauthorization process is necessary to protect the merchant from significant fraud and loss (and resulting costs to the payment system) in cases where an individual pumps an amount of gas but does not have the credit available on their card to pay for it.

Similar preauthorization processes exist for some other large purchase transactions, including hotel bookings and car rentals.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.