Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae app question

tag
kroberts67
Established Contributor

Sallie Mae app question

I want a good rewards card assortments.  My main needs are gas, groceries and dining.  I also need Care Credit for later this year.  I would like to app for Care Credit, Freedom and Sallie Mae all tomorrow. 

AAoA 3 years

UT 10% overall (1 card reporting - that card being at 43%UT)

TU FICO was 723 a month ago, will pull again tomorrow

INQ:  TU 0, EQ 3, EX 5 (2 amex, 3 my cu)

No baddies

My concern is that my AMEX is from January.  Would that automatically screw me with Sallie Mae?  I checked pre-approvals (took with a grain of salt) and I show up for Barkley's Rewards MC but holding out for Sallie Mae.  My thinking is that if there's a good shot, I'll app but if a card only 3 mos old is common reason for denial, I'll leave that app out for another 6 mos.

Also concerned that if I get approved, would the Chase & CC be a reason for closure with Barkleys. 

Edit: Also wanted Discover for the FICO but their rewards categories are of no need to me now, I can't tell what they offer past June, and would rather wait for a sign up bonus.

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sallie Mae app question

You should be fine. If not instant approved a Barclays analyst shouldnt stress over 1 acct. However, they have reviewed my prior 24 months app history in one of my recon calls.
Message 2 of 6
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:
You should be fine. If not instant approved a Barclays analyst shouldnt stress over 1 acct. However, they have reviewed my prior 24 months app history in one of my recon calls.

I second this - I had 3 accounts less than 6 mo. showing with two of those only 2 months old (edit: I was instantly approved for 6.3k). A new 7k limit has been reported since, and another 3k limit and a installment loan is going to hit my credit - and honestly I'm not worried about Barclay's AA.

...I think it's a small minority that this happens too - my guess is those people had high util % or baddies on account OR never/sparcely used the account.

My Sallie Mae is in my front row of my wallet because it gets used so much. and I PIF. I think they won't touch my CL

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 6
kroberts67
Established Contributor

Oh that's really good news.  Thanks so much for the input!  Smiley Happy

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 4 of 6
Involver
Valued Contributor

Yeah the hysteria with AA is pretty overblown IMO. Had 3 new accounts opened within 4 months of apping and was instant approved. Perfect card for moderate spend on the rewards categories.
Message 5 of 6
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

I don't think the one new account will make a difference. I was approved with scores lower than yours last month and I opened my Freedom in December. Great 3 cards btw, I have all 3 and I love them. GL!

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.