cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for a new "big boy" card?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Suggestions for a new "big boy" card?

@bourgogne wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I've chatted online with Cap 1 and have talked to them about not being able to combine my cards a few times. They could only tell me to keep trying.

How about PenFed? I've had an account with them for many years. I've never really done anything with it. I just set it up incase I wanted to try to get a car loan with them. 

that is so odd, I guess all you can do is keep trying.  Just shows that data points are only so good.  re penfed, they are conservative imo and are a pain with self-employed as I found out first hand.  That said after the dust settled they have been terrific, they did a $63K auto for me without poi last year and just doubled my cli so I am at peace with them.    You have a lot of credit, are you just trying to diversify?  Just curious

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe my scores are good enough to get a prime card. Something with a starting limit of at least $10K, a low APR and no A/F. Decent rewards would be good too.  I know "prime" is a matter of option.  

Well scores are only part of it as we have both found out lol.  I guess there is prime and prime + because I few your cards are pretty darn nice.  I bet many members would love to have any of them.   Apr does not factor for me as I pif but I get everyone is different.  Same with fees, if the fee makes sense then I overlook it.  That aside when you log into penfed and hit fico, what is the NG2 #?

I've looked all over the site and even located the Understanding Your FICO Score section but don't see a link to my score. Where is it located? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 31 of 35
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I've chatted online with Cap 1 and have talked to them about not being able to combine my cards a few times. They could only tell me to keep trying.

How about PenFed? I've had an account with them for many years. I've never really done anything with it. I just set it up incase I wanted to try to get a car loan with them. 

that is so odd, I guess all you can do is keep trying.  Just shows that data points are only so good.  re penfed, they are conservative imo and are a pain with self-employed as I found out first hand.  That said after the dust settled they have been terrific, they did a $63K auto for me without poi last year and just doubled my cli so I am at peace with them.    You have a lot of credit, are you just trying to diversify?  Just curious

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe my scores are good enough to get a prime card. Something with a starting limit of at least $10K, a low APR and no A/F. Decent rewards would be good too.  I know "prime" is a matter of option.  

Well scores are only part of it as we have both found out lol.  I guess there is prime and prime + because I few your cards are pretty darn nice.  I bet many members would love to have any of them.   Apr does not factor for me as I pif but I get everyone is different.  Same with fees, if the fee makes sense then I overlook it.  That aside when you log into penfed and hit fico, what is the NG2 #?

I've looked all over the site and even located the Understanding Your FICO Score section but don't see a link to my score. Where is it located? 

right on the spash page - near the middle slightly towards the top.  I wonder if you have to have a card in order for them to update it.  how long have you been with them and what kind of account do you have?  what was your orginal score with them?  it would be in the first few msgs they send you via sm

Message 32 of 35
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've been with them for at least 5 years and just have a checking account.  My opening page is kind of boring.  It takes me into the My Accounts section and has 3 links to check out various rates. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 33 of 35
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I've been with them for at least 5 years and just have a checking account.  My opening page is kind of boring.  It takes me into the My Accounts section and has 3 links to check out various rates. 

gosh that is too bad, mine is exciting ha-ha.  good god, 5 years with them and never a bounced check or anything?  go ahead and app and if you dont get what you want pm me and I will hook you up with my contact there who has done it all for me.  my bet is you will be more than happy with the result

penfed start.PNG

Message 34 of 35
Scupra
Super Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

gosh that is too bad, mine is exciting ha-ha.  good god, 5 years with them and never a bounced check or anything?  go ahead and app and if you dont get what you want pm me and I will hook you up with my contact there who has done it all for me.  my bet is you will be more than happy with the result

penfed start.PNG

You lost me at M2 Heart

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.