Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Apr reduction

tag
toppers555
Established Contributor

USAA Apr reduction

Has anyone ever successfully gotten USAA to lower thier apr? The other day they had no issue with granting me a 6l cli to raise my line to 16k but still waiting on a response for APR reduction.  With a 25.90% APR I doubt  know I will never use the card.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: USAA Apr reduction

Well I finally recieved  a reply back with a big fat no , so i guess I will just be adding them to my sd.  

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 2 of 8
maksimfa
Contributor

Unless you carry a balance, who cares.  Look at the rewards.

If you need to carry a balance, you should not be using credit cards, at the least evaluate your spending habbits. if you cant afford to pay it off out of savings, should not be buying. 

Message 3 of 8
toppers555
Established Contributor

@maksimfa wrote:

If you need to carry a balance, you should not be using credit cards, at the least evaluate your spending habbits. if you cant afford to pay it off out of savings, should not be buying. 

Actually USAA's reward mall is meh compared to my other cards, and I actually do care about the APR if I choose to ever carry a balance.  To tell someone they should not be using credit cards if they have to carry a balance is not true by a long shot. While I personally agree with school of thought to keep credit card balances  to none per month if possible. If you have to carry a balance it not an issue if you have control to stop it from becoming a snowball of debt. 

Message 4 of 8
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@maksimfa wrote:

Wow.  Comments like that are not helpful in these forums.

USAA rewards are only okay, 2% gas/groc on amex +1% everything else is not all that great.  I have the same rate as the OP but I'm not a full member so I don't expect much of a change ever.  Maybe I'll try here in a month or two when I request a CLI. 

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 5 of 8
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

@maksimfa wrote:

If you need to carry a balance, you should not be using credit cards, at the least evaluate your spending habits. if you can't afford to pay it off out of savings, should not be buying. 

I'm surprised OP didn't go off on you for making such assumptions. First off as OP stated, USAA's rewards are horrible. I have two of their cards with high limits but with lacking rewards I hardly use them. There is also nothing wrong with looking to have your APR lowered. I never carry balances but I chase lower APR's as much as I chase CLI's. You never know when you might need to roll a balance in the event of an emergency. 

USAA has offered me balance transfer offers in the past that range from 3% to 1.9% for 12 months. I haven't had the need to use if but this can be a viable option. Check the offers tab next time you log in and see if you have something there. Smiley Wink Finally, I tried in the past to get a lower APR with USAA (currently 13.9%) and they told me I would need to re-apply for the same or another card. They are not revising the terms for anyone with a current product. So no reductions at all. Hopefully this changes in the future.

Message 6 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I've never had them approve an APR reduction request.  However, recently they dropped the APR on each of my cards by 1%.

Has your credit improved since you applied?  If they gave you 25.9% there was at least something they didn't like.

Message 7 of 8
toppers555
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

I've never had them approve an APR reduction request.  However, recently they dropped the APR on each of my cards by 1%.

Has your credit improved since you applied?  If they gave you 25.9% there was at least something they didn't like.

Nope credit is fine, It just USAA's Apr randomness/ I am a non military member.  I have another card  with USAA I got a month later then this one and its apr is 15% with no change on CR, or balances.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.