cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if companies don't offer pre qualified offers to you?

tag
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

What if companies don't offer pre qualified offers to you?

Chase does, so does American Express. But besides Chase I want a card from banks like TD Bank, BOA and Discover. BOA never has any offers, TD Bank I don't think is involved in anything like that and Discover never offers me anything either.. hopefully none of this is bad Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: What if companies don't offer pre qualified offers to you?

@killer_queen229 wrote:

Chase does, so does American Express. But besides Chase I want a card from banks like TD Bank, BOA and Discover. BOA never has any offers, TD Bank I don't think is involved in anything like that and Discover never offers me anything either.. hopefully none of this is bad Smiley Sad

In general, it doesn't mean much.  Prequalifiaction just means that the marketing arm has paid the CRAs to return a list of people who match a set of criteria they have provided, and, for whatever reason, you are not in that batch.

Plenty of people get approvals without being prequalified, and some prequalified people get rejected.  Yes, it would be nicer if you had some prequalified offers (though it wouldn't be a guarantee) but no need to worry!   Try one in March as planned.

Message 2 of 12
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

In general, it doesn't mean much.  Prequalifiaction just means that the marketing arm has paid the CRAs to return a list of people who match a set of criteria they have provided, and, for whatever reason, you are not in that batch.

Plenty of people get approvals without being prequalified, and some prequalified people get rejected.  Yes, it would be nicer if you had some prequalified offers (though it wouldn't be a guarantee) but no need to worry!   Try one in March as planned.

March 1st I plan on applying for Chase Freedom and Discover IT (with the confidence that I'd get approved for both) then sometime this year I still want to apply for TD Bank Cash Rewards Visa card(I've been a customer since 2008) and BOA Susan G. Komen Cash Rewards Mastercard. Should I apply for all 4 cards in one day, one week? Or do the other two a few months apart from one another or do them the same day a few months AFTER the other two applications?

Message 3 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

March 1st I plan on applying for Chase Freedom and Discover IT (with the confidence that I'd get approved for both) then sometime this year I still want to apply for TD Bank Cash Rewards Visa card(I've been a customer since 2008) and BOA Susan G. Komen Cash Rewards Mastercard. Should I apply for all 4 cards in one day, one week? Or do the other two a few months apart from one another or do them the same day a few months AFTER the other two applications?

No idea what would be best, apart from general principles, several apps in a short time can appear to indicate that you are desparate for credit, and raise flags.  Usually creditors will see earlier inquiries if they are on the same CRA, even if they are a few minutes before.   Do you know which CRAs get pulled for these banks in your area?  Chase may double pull so it might be worth applying to them first and waiting to see which they hit and plan from there.

Since TD is your bank, have you spoken to them to see if they have any offers for you?  Cash Rewards Visa is a great card (one I was planning to get before I got Blue Cash).

Message 4 of 12
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

No idea what would be best, apart from general principles, several apps in a short time can appear to indicate that you are desparate for credit, and raise flags.  Usually creditors will see earlier inquiries if they are on the same CRA, even if they are a few minutes before.   Do you know which CRAs get pulled for these banks in your area?  Chase may double pull so it might be worth applying to them first and waiting to see which they hit and plan from there.

Since TD is your bank, have you spoken to them to see if they have any offers for you?  Cash Rewards Visa is a great card (one I was planning to get before I got Blue Cash).

I was thinking of doing Chase and Discover in one day.. then the other two a few months apart. I don't know what gets pulled. I haven't spoken to them because all they've ever done was deny me. Even 4 years ago they denied me and the last denial I got for credit in August was by them. 

Message 5 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

What was the denial reason (and will it be fixed by the time you app!)

Message 6 of 12
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Limited history. I actually had one of the managers call one of the credit bureaus when I visited my branch and the woman on the phone said limited history.
Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@killer_queen229 wrote:
Limited history. I actually had one of the managers call one of the credit bureaus when I visited my branch and the woman on the phone said limited history.

The "limited history" conditions need to improve over time so that your odds will be better when you apply.  There are various strategies depeding on when/what you decide to apply but it also depends on what CRs each lender will pull. 

Message 8 of 12
Closingracer
Established Member

@killer_queen229 wrote:

Me myself with no Credit history at the time (and 6 months for my 2nd) got a "pre-qualified" letter and while i been getting a ton of them for years  since i turned 18 ( I am in early 20's now). Got accepted last May or so.

Message 9 of 12
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I got a supposed pre-screen offer from TD Bank last year.

Didn't bite because my report had a bunch of negs and I probably had no chance. lol. They did the soft pull on EX.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.