cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a difference between presellected and preapproved?

tag
Eric958
Established Contributor

Is there a difference between presellected and preapproved?

Got an offer from amex {green} don't know if I want to chance a inq for nothing.

Never Give Up!!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a difference between presellected and preapproved?

Pre-selected generally means they didn't pull your credit - but bought a list of names from the CRAs  whose credit profile is in line with their requirements.
Pre-approved means they did a soft pull and know they want your business and are courting you to apply.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also pre-selected does not have  any guarentee that you will get the CC or loan- while pre approved means you will.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

netpanther wrote:
Also pre-selected does not have  any guarentee that you will get the CC or loan- while pre approved means you will.

Just so long as nothing negative has happened since you met the credit profile. Example: My FICO is 800 on May 1st. On June 1st, Amex gets my name from Transunion, and I fit the credit profile they like, they pull my score and send me a pre-approved offer. On July 1, I lose my job, miss a house payment and get my car repo'd. On August 1 - Amex is not going to approve me. Any company will run your credit again when you apply, to make sure you STILL fit the criteria.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, so right about that!  I probably really shouldn't be giving any advice at this point because the only thing I really know alot about it real estate questions and dealings.

Thanks Tex
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Pre-approved" does not guarantee approval whether or not things have changed on your credit report.  I applied for a pre-approved offer early on in my rebuilding having no revolving accounts, no inquiries, nothing other than a car loan and a furniture loan - denied due to no revolving credit history.  Why they even bothered sending it to begin with is beyond me. 
Message 6 of 7
Eric958
Established Contributor

Thanks for the good info.

I appreciate the quick responses.

Again, THANKS!
E!

Never Give Up!!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.